59 replies to this topic

#21 empressmom

empressmom

TreasureTrooper!

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9770 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

This thread is for commenting on Joe and his fight--against debt--not for commenting on other commenters!

#22 p8ntballer1911

p8ntballer1911

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

Wish you luck! I've known lots of people who fell into debt and lost there house. Its truly really hard to get out. Lol it like getting stuck in a big black whole 10 times the size of you with no way out.

Edited by p8ntballer1911, 06 July 2006 - 07:21 PM.

#23 AGNJoe

AGNJoe

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

Ok, I know it's been a couple of weeks, but I posted a different thread and it had the link in there...needless to say long story short, it shouldn't have been in there.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here...

Thanks to emperessmom reminding me about this one and the advice on what would be permissable to say(sorry mods for the trouble!), I've gone from 49 grand to 48,700 bucks approximately, and the debt is still going down.  I've also fixed some bad site links on my site, added a couple of more blogs, and working on new material to help people out.

If people already know the site address, cool, I need your help to point out the messed up links and stuff to make it better.

If you don't know the site location, just PM and I'll let you know the addy.

Thanks!

AGN Joe
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick @$$...and I'm all out of bubblegum.

-movie quote from "Rowdy" Roddie Piper in They Live.

Posted Image

#24 Krazigirl79

Krazigirl79

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2876 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:36 PM

Ummm, you can still rack up $ on an American Express... things have changed ;)
Posted Image

#25 missyavi

missyavi

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

Im slowly racking up the debt for the future. Student loans...20k this year, 20k next year and who knows after that. Theres no way im graduating in 2 years so im sure there will be more.

40k in debt and i will only be 21 when i graduate! wooh.

I heard someone say one time that student loan debt is probably the best debt to be in. At least you have something to show for it. CC debt, most of the time you cant even think about what you bought. you know?

#26 AGNJoe

AGNJoe

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:07 PM

View Postmissyavi, on Jul 30 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

Im slowly racking up the debt for the future. Student loans...20k this year, 20k next year and who knows after that. Theres no way im graduating in 2 years so im sure there will be more.

40k in debt and i will only be 21 when i graduate! wooh.

I heard someone say one time that student loan debt is probably the best debt to be in. At least you have something to show for it. CC debt, most of the time you cant even think about what you bought. you know?

missyavi,

Please make sure you check into looking for a government grant or grants as there are millions of dollars out there that can help you reduce or eliminate all of the money that you might owe in order to help you out of debt.  I had a 10,000 dollar loan 3 years ago I completely eliminated because of my debt situation and by filling out the paperwork to the federal government by applying for a federal grant.  I worked 8 weekends during the summer working on houses for the Houses for Habitat program, and my federal loans were all forgiven along with proof of my debt I had.  There are many programs to check out if you are willing to spend the time to find them, do the paperwork, and apply for them.
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick @$$...and I'm all out of bubblegum.

-movie quote from "Rowdy" Roddie Piper in They Live.

Posted Image

#27 Krazigirl79

Krazigirl79

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2876 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Actually Student loan debt is considered good debt.  But it IS one of the only types of debt you cannot go bankrupt on.

SL debt usually has low payoff rates, and you are typically given many years to pay it off.  It is not your typical "Revolving" debt, and as long as you make your payments, it helps your credit.  
If you can't make the payments, typically they'll work with you to defer it.

I have about $50k in SL debt, but I have great credit.
Posted Image

#28 missyavi

missyavi

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

The problem with me is that im still dependent on my parents. The government sees their income and they wont give me anything because they make too much (not bragging, they really dont make that much).

#29 Krazigirl79

Krazigirl79

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2876 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:45 AM

Same thing happened to me.  Federal government wouldn't give me money because my parents "made too much money", BUT, my parents didn't make enough money to help me with school... it is a Catch 22 type-situation, that MANY people get stuck in unfortunately.

I graduated with my B.S. 5 years ago.  I had $33k in student loans.  I have since paid off about $15k (not bad for 4 years- deferment for 6 months after school ended, plus another 6 months while I was taking classes at a JC), but still had about 17k in debt left.  
Now I'm working on my MBA (another $22k) and my hubby had bad credit, so I had to take out student loans to fund his education (so we can actually get somewhere in life! He's gonna be a Nurse Practitioner).  But as of now, I'm up to about $55k.

Even though you're a dependent now, you'll most likely not be a dependent once you graduate, or even if you are, it won't really matter.

SL debt is seen as good debt as long as you pay the minimum monthly payment.  When you get out of college you can consolidate the federal loans, and lower your payment (when necessary- my payments dropped from $190 to $133 a month by consolidating about 2 years into it... I wish I'd done it sooner!).

You can do it though! It seems overwhelming, but it is possible to keep it down.  See if you can pay toward interest while you are in school... that will help soften the blow a bit.  Just $25/month will make a big difference!
Posted Image

#30 Sallen_Freebies

Sallen_Freebies

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

:D AGN Joe you have such a Great Outlook on life, don't ever lose that.
I'm sure a person like you will make it far beyond your goal.
Keep up the fight, we're all pulling for you.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users