#21 kst8no1

kst8no1

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

View Postackack27, on Jun 17 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

I would agree with those who say WWE is not a sport, in the sense that there isn't a legitimate contest to see who the superior competitor is.  But the fact that the outcome is scripted doesn't mean there's no athleticism involved.  While it's true that some of the big stars are walking tree trunks (e.g. Great Khali or even Hogan in his heyday), there are plenty of great athletes as well - from the technical prowess of Chris Benoit or the late Eddie Guerrero to the thrilling agility displayed by the Hardys or Paul London and Brian Kendrick.

To be honest, I think the best genre to desribe pro-wrestling is theater.  Live performances several times a week, full of over-the-top melodrama and strenuous physical performance.  Just replace song-and-dance numbers with suplexes and "steel" chair shots and you've got it.

Re: acting, there are a number of wrestlers with great charisma and the ability to deliver their tough-guy lines more than competently.  Some of them have great senses of humor as well.  I really miss Kurt Angle, who was both a great athlete and hilarious on the mic and in backstage skits.  Sadly, not even he and Christian have been able to get me into TNA, though.

Re: kayfabe, I think that term is usually used to refer to selling the storyline as if it's real - like what they're doing now with Vince's "death".  Unfortunately this storyline has too many holes to be really believable to anyone (note the fans booing on ECW and Smackdown this week at the solemn "tributes").  The last time I remember them doing this kind of thing successfully was when they tried to convince us that Matt Hardy really wasn't supposed to be on TV attacking Edge.  Even that got silly after the first week, though.

(BTW, is it just me or did it seem a bit ghoulish to have Chavo Guerrero commenting on Vince's phony death, after his uncle actually did die 19 months ago?)

I agree with you ackack on all points made.  Kurt Angle was probably the best all-round wrestler in the business, his "Battle Rap" with pre-overused John Cena, and "The Midget Kurt" promo were his golden promos.  The thing that bothered me was when WWE turned him heel and he became more "violent and destructive" I just didnt like it.  Plus when he told WWE he was taking a few months off to "rest his body" then a week later signed with TNA.  The WWE is pushing superstars with gimmicks and great mic skills into the main event (Khali- gimmick, Umaga- gimmick, Cena- ??, Mr. Kennedy..........KENNEDY- gimmick and GREAT mic skills, Edge- gimmick and mic skills on some nights, Batista- ??, just to name a few)

Plus I didnt know there were fellow WWE fans on here (albeit 3 people), we should open up a thread in "sports and leisure" to talk about storylines and such.  People on Gamefaqs can get annoying :P

Edited by kst8no1, 17 June 2007 - 10:26 AM.

Posted Image

#22 dizzyshar

dizzyshar

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

its an soap opera with wrestling involved.

not only are the outcomes scripted, the matches are as well. they pratice the entire matches fore they perform them live.

i used to watch it years ago, when the storylines were more believeable and the matches more entertaining. however the past few years it has gone all sexed up and more going on out of the ring then in the ring. it is more of a money making thing now as there is an pay per view every month theese days and stupid stuff like food fights and stupid character personalitys.

http://www.timeslead...e_breaking.html

;)

Edited by dizzyshar, 17 June 2007 - 01:31 PM.

Posted Image

[23:24:29] Sabelis: hold me cribbles oh please...
[23:24:37] Cribbles: O.o
[23:24:47] ***Cribbles picks up sabelis by her legs
[23:24:52] Cribbles: now what?
[23:25:8] Nantenchild: *shakes head* No wonder Cribbs is still single :P
[23:25:16] Cribbles: : (

#23 kst8no1

kst8no1

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

View Postdizzyshar, on Jun 17 2007, 12:22 PM, said:

its an soap opera with wrestling involved.

not only are the outcomes scripted, the matches are as well. they pratice the entire matches fore they perform them live.

i used to watch it years ago, when the storylines were more believeable and the matches more entertaining. however the past few years it has gone all sexed up and more going on out of the ring then in the ring. it is more of a money making thing now as there is an pay per view every month theese days and stupid stuff like food fights and stupid character personalitys.

http://www.timeslead...e_breaking.html

;)

Theres no doubt the "death" is nothing but a storyline, the idea was brought up back in 2005 but denied, but they revisited the idea this year and Vince went for it.  No idea how they're going to run it.  One things for sure its creating the "buzz" they were looking for.
Posted Image

#24 nirvana

nirvana

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

the wrestling industry itself hasn't refferred to itself as a sport in many years, so arguing about it being a sport is pointless.

The reason im choosing to reply to this thread is to reveal a spoiler of sorts. on the precedures of this stunt.

I am from the area the stunt took place at (about 3 and a half miles, I suppose from the arena) and Im also a firefighter and a member of EMS here. Also If this stunt went bad, it immediately wouldve went to second alarm and I would've responded to the scene.

Step one- WWE contacts Wilkes-Barre Township and informs them of the "stunt" they have in mind
Step two- WWE has to file for permits after recieving the ok
Step three- Waiting while the company that is suppose to perform the "stunt" is ok'ed (Zenith Pyrotechnology from Deer Park New York)
Step four- everything is approved, stunt is able to take place
Step five- They perfom the stunt during permissiable times (WB TWP gives them a window to perform their stunt) which was late saturday-early sunday) or (late sunday-early monday) i cannott recall when they actaully chose.
Step six- WB TWP fire immediately closes in on the scene and deals with the fire (they were there the whole time)
Step seven. Wilkes barre police, Wilkes barre township Police, The citizens voice newspaper, and the Times leader newspaper, are over run with phone calls from all over the world for several days, about the incident.

So now you know how the stunt took place, everything went completely fine, no difficulties or problems happened, during this stunt (unless you count the hundreds of phone calls)

Edited by nirvana, 18 June 2007 - 11:22 AM.

Posted Image
My Profile on wheresgeorge.com (where I spend most of my online time)

#25 JustJay

JustJay

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:34 PM

i still think he will come back in a few months or so all pisted and crap or the undertaker will bring him back from the dead

#26 tiff_n_a00

tiff_n_a00

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

sheesh, i haven't been a fan of "this" wrestling since way back when they still had the WWF and WCW, and only then it was pretty much just something i watched with my mother all the time. unfortunately i still gotta catch a few minutes every now and then when my fiance is watching it.  i for one, absolutely HATE soap operas with a passion. i'd much rather watch any soap opera on tv than watch a entire episode of wrestling nowadays.  I've never seen anything on television that dramatic.  i don't see the point in watching some choreographed/predetermined/ridiculously silly "drama".  unfortunately i caught the part of the episode where the limo exploded. i thought it was pretty convenient that they were filming the whole time vince got into the limo and after it blew up. lucky for them they decided to show him headin for his car...after all, that would of been much more exciting than showing a "match" :rolleyes:

#27 harsh506

harsh506

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

View Postkst8no1, on Jun 17 2007, 11:18 AM, said:

View Postackack27, on Jun 17 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

I would agree with those who say WWE is not a sport, in the sense that there isn't a legitimate contest to see who the superior competitor is.  But the fact that the outcome is scripted doesn't mean there's no athleticism involved.  While it's true that some of the big stars are walking tree trunks (e.g. Great Khali or even Hogan in his heyday), there are plenty of great athletes as well - from the technical prowess of Chris Benoit or the late Eddie Guerrero to the thrilling agility displayed by the Hardys or Paul London and Brian Kendrick.

To be honest, I think the best genre to desribe pro-wrestling is theater.  Live performances several times a week, full of over-the-top melodrama and strenuous physical performance.  Just replace song-and-dance numbers with suplexes and "steel" chair shots and you've got it.

Re: acting, there are a number of wrestlers with great charisma and the ability to deliver their tough-guy lines more than competently.  Some of them have great senses of humor as well.  I really miss Kurt Angle, who was both a great athlete and hilarious on the mic and in backstage skits.  Sadly, not even he and Christian have been able to get me into TNA, though.

Re: kayfabe, I think that term is usually used to refer to selling the storyline as if it's real - like what they're doing now with Vince's "death".  Unfortunately this storyline has too many holes to be really believable to anyone (note the fans booing on ECW and Smackdown this week at the solemn "tributes").  The last time I remember them doing this kind of thing successfully was when they tried to convince us that Matt Hardy really wasn't supposed to be on TV attacking Edge.  Even that got silly after the first week, though.

(BTW, is it just me or did it seem a bit ghoulish to have Chavo Guerrero commenting on Vince's phony death, after his uncle actually did die 19 months ago?)

I agree with you ackack on all points made.  Kurt Angle was probably the best all-round wrestler in the business, his "Battle Rap" with pre-overused John Cena, and "The Midget Kurt" promo were his golden promos.  The thing that bothered me was when WWE turned him heel and he became more "violent and destructive" I just didnt like it.  Plus when he told WWE he was taking a few months off to "rest his body" then a week later signed with TNA.  The WWE is pushing superstars with gimmicks and great mic skills into the main event (Khali- gimmick, Umaga- gimmick, Cena- ??, Mr. Kennedy..........KENNEDY- gimmick and GREAT mic skills, Edge- gimmick and mic skills on some nights, Batista- ??, just to name a few)

Plus I didnt know there were fellow WWE fans on here (albeit 3 people), we should open up a thread in "sports and leisure" to talk about storylines and such.  People on Gamefaqs can get annoying :P

i wouldnt say batista is a gimmick cuz he was when he was with liek HHH rick flair, orton and like that group that wore black suits and stuff.(i forget what they were called). now hes just there, fights and theres really no big story about it.

umaga is a complete 100% joke just cuz hes like jamal or rosie i dont remeber. lol ppl dont realize he usta be a wrestler and now they just painted his face and gave him some tattoo's and now hes supposed to be liek a beast.

i would say the best wrestler would be angle just cuz he was atuclly a wrestler, but i think the strongest would have to be  lashley. it could be lesner, but i think old batista before he was hurt was a beast.

#28 JustJay

JustJay

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

anyone remember goldberg from wcw back in the day goldberg was a savage

#29 harsh506

harsh506

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

goldberg was the only way wce could contend with wwf. back then ppl would only watch to see if goldbergs 100+ wins would continue. the wwf then brought him and he had a thing with lesner, but with a bad contract they had to let him go. n

now one of the old werestlers who stills is a beast is scott steiner. idk why the feds r tryin to convit barry, but steiner should be #1 on there list

then

Posted ImagePosted Image

now
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by harsh506, 22 June 2007 - 10:48 PM.

#30 kst8no1

kst8no1

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

View Postharsh506, on Jun 22 2007, 11:06 PM, said:

i wouldnt say batista is a gimmick cuz he was when he was with liek HHH rick flair, orton and like that group that wore black suits and stuff.(i forget what they were called). now hes just there, fights and theres really no big story about it. The stable was called "Evolution" (2nd best stable next to the 4 Horsemen)

umaga is a complete 100% joke just cuz hes like jamal or rosie i dont remeber. lol ppl dont realize he usta be a wrestler and now they just painted his face and gave him some tattoo's and now hes supposed to be liek a beast. Umaga is Jamal of the 3 minute warning back in the day.  Its funny how WWE pushesUmaga as a unbeatable beast, and yet he seems to job to Cena and Lashley- the biggest faces in the WWE.

i would say the best wrestler would be angle just cuz he was atuclly a wrestler, but i think the strongest would have to be  lashley. it could be lesner, but i think old batista before he was hurt was a beast. Chris Masters is on the phone and would like to talk to you about that one.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users