67 replies to this topic

#41 linkinpark

linkinpark

Metal Detector

• Banned Users
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

I know its a huge step and I have heard the whole " military doesnt let go of you" but i really want to join the airforce so i can go on and become a commercial airline pilot

in order to become a airline pilot you either get your training from the airforce or get licenses, the airforce is free and pays you to serve for the country and gives you tons of benefits... getting your training through licenses costs about $20,000 to $50,000 and then with the insurance costs and rental time for the airplane it goes up to $30,000-$70,000, so id rather go through the airforce and i am going to complete college so i will automatically get the ranking of an officer and be able to fly.Trust me , i might be 14 but I know what im doing and i know that after your done serving your time they can put you back into action if they need you for up to i believe 4 years after your service and you must serve for at least 4 years depending on your contract i believe.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 ericj1186

ericj1186

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Uhh, I think you really need to reconsider that.  I had a friend that returned from Iraq, and he can't go through a day without having a drink from all he's seen and done.  War changes you, and war is one of those things that are guaranteed in human life.  He was actually tricked into re-enlisting when his supervisor knew he was drunk and asked him to sign the papers.  Fortunately, I guess, he was beaten severely in a bar fight and will be honorably discharged, with a possibly pension, but the government won't help him with much else.

It seems you are looking at it all the wrong way.
Posted Image

#43 linkinpark

linkinpark

Metal Detector

• Banned Users
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

I am joining the airforce its like the wussies of the military some say, they dont really see that much bad stuff like ground infantry do and who said that im gonna get tricked into re-enlisting to? thats your friend and not me so its not guarenteed to happen to everybody. I was talking to a guy that was in the airfroce and he said its the best thing he has done in his entire life so its just depends on your experience in the military, obivously your friend had a bad one but thats not garunteed(idk how to spell it) to happen to me.

so the only thing im looking at differently is the " seeing horrible things" part and in the airforce you dont get much of that.. plus my mother will only let me join if there is no war going on so i wont really be seeing that stuff
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 brittmarie

brittmarie

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6667 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Keep in mind that there is a contract. Just because there isn't a war going on when you join doesn't mean that one won't arise the next year or so.

Eric - theres also the friend who got back who doesn't want to see any friends or family except his parents and girlfriend. And he's been back for a few months now.

#45 ericj1186

ericj1186

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

You will fly planes over enemy areas even without war going on.  If one of them shoots you down - prisoner of war.

I think you are just going about this all wrong to become a commercial pilot.
Posted Image

#46 linkinpark

linkinpark

Metal Detector

• Banned Users
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

well you want to pay $60,000 for licenses? on top of college debt and paying for an apartment after college?

yes, brit as i stated on post #44 that i know there is a contract and even after your done serving they put you in reserve so they can call you back into active duty if they need to.

so eric you want me to fall into terrible debt? or keep you free, make money, do what i love, and get free training and benefits?

i also know there is a rsk of getting shot down but even for the war on terrorism there hasnt been thousands of pows
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3161 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

View Postericj1186, on Aug 10 2008, 05:36 PM, said:

You will fly planes over enemy areas even without war going on.  If one of them shoots you down - prisoner of war.

Only about 10% of the Air Force actually fly planes.

#48 linkinpark

linkinpark

Metal Detector

• Banned Users
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

View Postmretzloff, on Aug 10 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

can you cite your sources?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3161 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

View Postlinkinpark, on Aug 10 2008, 09:01 PM, said:

View Postmretzloff, on Aug 10 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

can you cite your sources?

I've always heard this. I don't have an official source, but countless of people have told me.

#50 ericj1186

ericj1186

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

View Postlinkinpark, on Aug 10 2008, 07:44 PM, said:

well you want to pay $60,000 for licenses? on top of college debt and paying for an apartment after college?

yes, brit as i stated on post #44 that i know there is a contract and even after your done serving they put you in reserve so they can call you back into active duty if they need to.

so eric you want me to fall into terrible debt? or keep you free, make money, do what i love, and get free training and benefits?

i also know there is a rsk of getting shot down but even for the war on terrorism there hasnt been thousands of pows

There are no POWs because they kill whoever they capture.  Secondly, you won't be fighting for my freedom.  The Iraqi War has nothing to do with the freedom of Americans, because of it, in fact, we are less free, so don't even start that nonsense.

All I can say is let High School have it's run.  I'm sure that'll change your opinions considerably.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users