1 reply to this topic

#1 Treasure

Treasure

CEO

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

This forum shall be the place for discussing and politely debating your point of view on anything from politics to religion to morality, etc.

It is ok to state your opinion, but remember to BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHER'S OPINIONS in the process.  Not everybody will always agree with you.  Flaming will not be tolerated here.  Flaming is defined as posting personal insults or name calling.  Otherwise, you can feel free to post your touchy subjects here without fear of it being locked!

#2 empressmom

empressmom

TreasureTrooper!

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9769 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

There have been far too many instances of comments in this subforum that have crossed the line into disrespect, rudeness, and even out-and-out insult, and I will admit that we mods/admins have not always done the best job of monitoring it and shutting it down. Please note that just because nobody in authority has mentioned it to you does not mean that everything you've said has been fine.

We have all resolved, however, to be more diligent in making this a safer, friendlier place to voice your opinions. Nobody should be unwilling to speak up for fear of being personally attacked.

If you are putting down another member, not his/her argument, your post will be edited/deleted, and you will be contacted. If this kind of behavior on your part continues, you may receive an official warning. While insults may sometimes be in the eye of the beholder, the mods will have discretion in determining what may or may not be deemed offensive. Sarcasm, when used in an derogatory manner toward another member, is not acceptable, nor are criticisms like "You need to learn to read." (How about "I don't think you understand what I'm saying" as an alternative?)

If you are contacted by a mod, you are always free to respectfully and rationally defend why you believe what you said was OK. However, comments such as "You never say anything to anybody else and are always picking on me" or "I didn't mean it that way, so get over it" are neither respectful or rational. There's almost always a more diplomatic way to protest, e.g., "I feel like I'm being singled out" or "I think you misinterpreted what I said."  Think about how you would reply to your parent or your teacher or your boss, and word your response accordingly. (And if you'd be disrespectful to those folks, then you'll have problems far beyond this forum! :P) Bottom line: The mods have a difficult job, and they do not deserve to take abuse for it. Constructive feedback? Yes. Putdowns and backtalk? No. That's not an appropriate way to treat anybody.

At this point, we're not going to go back through previous posts and apply this retroactively, so don't point the finger at something that came before and say, "Well, _____ said that, so why can't I?  :angry: " And we're not here 24/7, so a post may stand for a little while before anybody gets to it.

Bottom line: Think before you post, and consider how your wording will be viewed by others. Feel free to be emphatic, but take care to criticize the solidity and logic of an argument, not the intelligence or character of the arguer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users