Should the U.S. drinking age be lowered from 21 to 18?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the drinking age be lowered from 21 to 18?

Should the drinking age be lowered from 21 to 18?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3161 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

View Postbrittmarie, on Aug 30 2008, 11:43 AM, said:

View Postmretzloff, on Aug 30 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

View Postnikkums, on Aug 29 2008, 11:08 PM, said:

View Postbrittmarie, on Aug 29 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

View Postnikkums, on Aug 29 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

Lowering the drinking age would give teenagers the ability to go to bars, which is just one more distraction from their teenage years and growing up responsibly. Those who want to drink will find a way, but maybe by keeping the drinking age at 21 we can discourage at least a few teenagers from drinking before they are ready.

Whats the law over there?? Here you have to be 18 to get into a bar, 21 to drink.

This is just stupid. Whats the point of going if you cant drink? It makes no sense to me at all.

You have to be 21 to get in all the bars that I go to.
If they lowered the drinking age to 18, then you would have to be 18.

I agree with you... When I go to a bar, I go to drink.

But the last thing that I want is a bunch of non-responsible 18 year olds drinking at a bar.

Why are you people labeling all 18-year-olds as immature? Seriously, you should be labeling yourselves as immature because it's your age group that causes drunk driving accidents. Have you ever seen an 18-year-old get involved in a drunk driving accident?

I don't think your comments were directed to me, but yes, I have seen horrible accidents involving underage drinkers. There have been people paralyzed and killed that I know because of drunk-driving accidents. Granted some of these were because the driver of their own car was drunk, but I can think of many other instances where it was just an innocent teenager driving home.

How do these accidents compare with the accidents caused by 21+ drunken drivers? They're almost so minute in comparison that they don't really factor.

There isn't any evidence to suggest that lowering the drinking age would increase drunken driving accidents.

#32 brittmarie

brittmarie

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6667 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:12 AM

I'm sure there are a lot of 21+ accidents, but there are a lot of 18+ (if not younger) ones as well. Maybe its just where I live, but the majority of drunk-driving accidents are by underage people. Things may be different in other parts of the country.

I can't find anything right now, but while listening to the radio on the way to school, it was said that when the limit was increased to 21, the number of accidents decreased.

#33 Laura

Laura

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/n...eets/drving.htm

The statistic I see that's quite interesting is this:

Young men ages 18 to 20 (under the legal drinking age) reported driving while impaired more frequently than any other age group (Shults et al. 2002, Quinlan et al. 2005).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 kst8no1

kst8no1

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

I dont see the big deal with drinking anyways.  But most 18-20 years (Me being one of them sorta :P) think that they are invincible or that we can hold our liquor for the drive home.  Especially us guys we are crazy!  But18-20 are immaturer (a word?) than a 21+ year old and the 18-20 pay for it on the road when theyre wasted.  I dont think the drinking age should be lowered, but like I said I dont see how drinking is that big what positives come from drinking and getting wasted?
Posted Image

#35 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3161 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

View PostLaura, on Aug 31 2008, 12:20 PM, said:

http://www.cdc.gov/n...eets/drving.htm

The statistic I see that's quite interesting is this:

Young men ages 18 to 20 (under the legal drinking age) reported driving while impaired more frequently than any other age group (Shults et al. 2002, Quinlan et al. 2005).

That statistic means nothing. All that statistic is saying is that 18 to 20-year-olds admitted to DUI more than any other age group.

#36 ericj1186

ericj1186

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

I agree.  The 40+ gap would NEVER admit to driving under the influence (which realistically could be one beer), and I have known people in my class who were female and drank then drove.

#37 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3161 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

View Postericj1186, on Sep 1 2008, 12:31 AM, said:

I agree.  The 40+ gap would NEVER admit to driving under the influence (which realistically could be one beer), and I have known people in my class who were female and drank then drove.

:lol:

Notice how the other side of the argument all of a sudden has nothing to come back with.

#38 bankhead1

bankhead1

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

i say yes because teens will get it any way. if we lower the drinking age then there would b less ppl getting citations and getting locked. the man dnt want us to know dat he wants us to getn trouble so the government and polie can keep getting more and more money
bankhead1

#39 MoneySamurai

MoneySamurai

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:21 AM

nope, it doesnt matter regarldess of accident rate is simliar.
I put no, because I have friends who had been in DUI. If you are underage and got caught, you will pay more to the court and DUI Program so you learn LESSON from that. It is good to learn lesson before you get old. When you are 18, you should be studying for ur academic success, not be an alcoholic. If you are dad/mom , you will understand what I am saying because u concern for ur children.
I understand people do drinks when they are under 20 because of social pressure. like frineds say lets drink, theres party and so on. Keep those friends away!!! They gunna get ur children DUI soon or later.
Just leave the law alone and stop debating!!!!!!!!
we have good laws now, I think people are being too selfish thesedays.. too much pleasure for what? We should concern more for our morality..

Edited by MoneySamurai, 19 September 2008 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users