Posted Image

#42 Ignareint

Ignareint

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

I believe in God (am a Christian), for I've seen many, MANY proofs of His existence (at least according to my perception)... But sometimes I wonder if other religions do exist in some kind of different realms. As in, religions are like kingdoms in which you go to a specific "heaven" according to your religion (yeah, I'm an imaginative freak like that)...

#43 bshipqueen

bshipqueen

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

For the most part, I could just copy Mistybabe's answer here.

I'm spiritual, but not religious.  I pray.  I believe in God.  But, I don't care at all for organized religion.  

I was raised in a non-demoninational Christian Church, and I was baptized at the age of 12 when I chose it.  All along I had problems with religion.  The biggest being the concept of hell.  I have never believed that hell exists.  My children go to church, Sunday School, and are active in youth group, until they choose otherwise.  That's how I was raised.

I believe in God.  I do not believe God is accurately defined by any one religion, but I think all religions are pointed in the right direction.  I think what is important is that you do believe in a higher power that is good, and you try to live your life the best you can with a decent set of morals and values.  The rest is just details.

I do believe you plan your life on the other side first.  I believe we are all here to learn and grow, and we keep coming back until we've accomplished what we needed to.  I believe everyone has a purpose on this earth even if it's hard to see it or understand.  I don't think we leave this earth and cross back over until we've accomplished that purpose.

I agree with an earlier poster that the bible is a terrific book, but that's about it.  Of course, I have the issues with the bible being hand copied by men in a world that didn't respect women for so long before being put into print.  Also, though, if you study your ancient history, you'll learn that most of Christianity is based on or copied from Ancient Paeganism.  

"The ideas I stand for are not mine. I borrowed them from Soc-rates. I swiped them from Chesterfield. I stole them from Jesus... If you don't like their rules whose would you use?" ~ Dale Carnegie

(Wouldn't take the name for some reason.)

Edited by bshipqueen, 22 September 2008 - 06:27 AM.

#44 Ignareint

Ignareint

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:33 AM

View Postbshipqueen, on Sep 22 2008, 07:25 PM, said:

I'm spiritual, but not religious.  I pray.  I believe in God.  But, I don't care at all for organized religion.  

I was raised in a non-demoninational Christian Church, and I was baptized at the age of 12 when I chose it.  All along I had problems with religion.  The biggest being the concept of hell.  I have never believed that hell exists.  My children go to church, Sunday School, and are active in youth group, until they choose otherwise.  That's how I was raised.

I believe in God.  I do not believe God is accurately defined by any one religion, but I think all religions are pointed in the right direction.  I think what is important is that you do believe in a higher power that is good, and you try to live your life the best you can with a decent set of morals and values.  The rest is just details.

I do believe you plan your life on the other side first.  I believe we are all here to learn and grow, and we keep coming back until we've accomplished what we needed to.  I believe everyone has a purpose on this earth even if it's hard to see it or understand.  I don't think we leave this earth and cross back over until we've accomplished that purpose.

I agree with an earlier poster that the bible is a terrific book, but that's about it.  Of course, I have the issues with the bible being hand copied by men in a world that didn't respect women for so long before being put into print.  Also, though, if you study your ancient history, you'll learn that most of Christianity is based on or copied from Ancient Paeganism.  

"The ideas I stand for are not mine. I borrowed them from Soc-rates. I swiped them from Chesterfield. I stole them from Jesus... If you don't like their rules whose would you use?" ~ Dale Carnegie

That's a very fair view. ;-)

#45 bshipqueen

bshipqueen

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

View PostIgnareint, on Sep 23 2008, 05:33 AM, said:

View Postbshipqueen, on Sep 22 2008, 07:25 PM, said:

That's a very fair view. ;-)

Thank you.

#46 Reepicheep77

Reepicheep77

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

bshipqueen, it was interesting to read your view of things. It sounds like the main reason you aren't really a Christian is because of the Church and Christians themselves. You said you don't want organized religion, but is Christianity really organized? True Christianity doesn't have all these ceremonies for no reason. Every single law God has given to us there is (or was, if the law was abolished at Jesus' death) a good reason for.

One thing you have to realize is that people can take the Bible and twist verses around into what they want it to be. Hell is one thing you specifically mentioned, and I will agree that a loving God would never put someone in eternal torture like that. And the Bible doesn't say hell lasts forever, it actually says those who enter hell will die (Even John 3:16 even supports this, it says that Jesus came to give us eternal life, to save us from death). I could pull out a bunch of Bible verses to support what I'm saying, but I'm not really trying to prove something about hell, I'm trying to say that the Christian God may appear harsh and unloving, but if you study into the Bible, He isn't.

"I do believe you plan your life on the other side first. I believe we are all here to learn and grow, and we keep coming back until we've accomplished what we needed to. I believe everyone has a purpose on this earth even if it's hard to see it or understand. I don't think we leave this earth and cross back over until we've accomplished that purpose."

I guess I don't understand exactly what you mean here. It sounds like you mean you believe in reincarnation, and that kind of like Buddha taught, we reach a sort of "nirvana" after we've perfected ourselves enough, except in your case you believe we are rejoined with God in heaven, am I correct (just wanted to make sure I understood that part).
For Narnia and the North!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users