37 replies to this topic

#31 Ignareint

Ignareint

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:47 AM

I agree with the life sentence in jail... and perhaps a little torture there--oops. :-P I mean, if it's with the case of a psycho murderer who kills without remorse and seems to have no way to reform (trust me, sometimes those people are just born that way, something about anomaly in the brain area), perhaps a life sentence is the best way. From a good POV: it's not his fault if he/she's born that way, and he/she might be healed through therapy and so on. From a crueler POV: how can you let such cruel person go that easily before getting the punishments he/she deserves? Torture him and let him rot in there. >:D

#32 richardtetley

richardtetley

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

I believe that there is a good reason for the death penalty. The death penalty is meant to be the ultimate deterrent to crime. I believe that if we were to make the executions public, like at the court house square, it would have a far reaching effect. There are other nations that have no problem handing out punishment in public and  they have far less crime than we could ever dream about. Also, Our children have a false sense of death as they have seen it acted out on the idiot box for so many years that they have become indifferent to it. There should be a dramatic effect as it will be a good deterrent.
Posted Image

#33 MonkeyMan22

MonkeyMan22

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

eye for an eye.

thats all i have to say.

#34 Pathy

Pathy

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

I am new here..haven't posted much on the forum's but I do lurk...
so I might be stepping outta line replying to this...Sorry if I am  :unsure:
I "stumple" across this during my lurking.... but MY opinion on this is....

I use to not believe in the death penalty, but than one day my dad and I began having a discussion..and no matter what I said against it, my Dad would just shake his head....

After I did my ramplings...my Dad looked me straight in the eyes and said " What would you do, if someone harmed one of your kids?"...
I said "I'd kill them if they lay a hand on one of my children!"

My Dad than just looked at me...I caught on after that....

So now I have full belief in the death penalty, because I would go postal right quick, if someone harmed my kids and there is NO difference, because I would still be commenting the death penalty, but on my terms...

Sorry once again if I step on any toes...just wanted to add my opinion  :unsure:
Posted Image

#35 Mistybabe

Mistybabe

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:37 PM

View PostPathy, on Sep 25 2008, 01:00 AM, said:

I am new here..haven't posted much on the forum's but I do lurk...
so I might be stepping outta line replying to this...Sorry if I am  :unsure:
I "stumple" across this during my lurking.... but MY opinion on this is....

I use to not believe in the death penalty, but than one day my dad and I began having a discussion..and no matter what I said against it, my Dad would just shake his head....

After I did my ramplings...my Dad looked me straight in the eyes and said " What would you do, if someone harmed one of your kids?"...
I said "I'd kill them if they lay a hand on one of my children!"

My Dad than just looked at me...I caught on after that....

So now I have full belief in the death penalty, because I would go postal right quick, if someone harmed my kids and there is NO difference, because I would still be commenting the death penalty, but on my terms...

Sorry once again if I step on any toes...just wanted to add my opinion  :unsure:

You have not stepped on any toes! The whole point of the debate forum is to post your thoughts etc... thank you :)

I for one agree. I read true life crime so I read a lot of really really bad stuff. I try to shy away from stories involving children.. I can't even watch tv programs about children being harmed in anyway. Over sensitive? Maybe.. but I'm a mom.

I agree.. there are some ppl who are in prison wasting good tax payers dollars. Charles Manson is a great example. How many times as he faced the parole board and said "i would do it again".. yet he breathes.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
06/24/08 - Made V.I.P
07/31/08 - Completed the Treasure Hunt
01/30/09 - Got "Jack's Hat" = Happiness!

http://www.b-n-mommies.blogspot.com

Posted Image

#36 Reepicheep77

Reepicheep77

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Pathy, I don't think you'd be stepping out of line even if that was your first post on these forums...

I can't really understand your feelings about this, I'm not a parent. But my problem with your reasoning is that you are asking for the death penalty for revenge, because of pure hatred. I suppose some people don't have a problem with that, but I don't want to host feelings of hatred against people and wish for their death when there's a better option.

You guys were saying it costs a lot to keep people in prison, which I agree with. That's why I think that those who go to prison should have to work all day long, they shouldn't get TV or magazines and all those luxuries they get. And the worse crime they committed, the harsher labor camp they should be put in. Frankly, I don't see what's so bad about going to prison for some people who already have hard, terrible lives; it's basically free food and shelter for them.
For Narnia and the North!

#37 JerrySizzler

JerrySizzler

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

I know this topic hasn't had posts in a month, but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I'm against the death penalty.  This is a position that I had wrestled with for years, but I believe I have finally come to the right one.  If someone murdered someone I love can bet I would seriously want to kill or hurt them for they've done... However, that doesn't necessarily mean its right to act on my instincts.  And that certainly doesn't mean its right for the government to step in and kill them for me:

First, I don't think the government should have the power to the order the execution of a human being.  Why?  Because the government makes mistakes.  Even as good as our court system is, innocent people get convicted.  DNA analysis has found that a significant number of people who were on death row were actually innocent.  See The Innocence Project's site.  To me, this alone is reason enough to stop using the death penalty.  At least life prison sentences can be undone (You can't give a wrongfully convicted person back their time, but at least they can be released).  

The thing is many murderers think their actions are justified, too.  There's lots of reasons people commit homicide, but probably the number one motivation is anger / vengeance.  People who commit 2nd degree murder ("crimes of passion") do it because they perceive the victim has somehow wronged them.  Of course they're not thinking clearly, they act out of blind rage.  Sometimes these people express remorse for their actions.  They certainly should to be punished (and incarcerated to prevent them from killing again), but there's no way the death penalty could have deterred them from committing the crime because simply put, they weren't thinking.   Then there's 1st degree murderers.  They carefully plan the murder and these types of murders are more or less done for money.  In theory these people could be deterred from committing the crime by tough penalties.  But lots of them take the risk anyway, because they think they'll get away it.  

The fact is, the death penalty does not deter violent crime in America.  There are countless studies on this and none have been able to show that increased use of the death penalty lowers the crime rate.  We cannot really use other nations as a model for this either.  Many European nations have abolished the death penalty and their homicide rates are lower than ours.  Many nations that still have the death penalty also have lower crime rates than ours.    Now some people argue that if America was to start doing public executions and not keeping murderers on death row for years and years, then perhaps the death penalty would actually deter crime.  But I ask is that the type of country you want to live in?  Imagine if executions were televised.  It could be a big event.  Look out football, we can have Monday Night Executions!  Maybe we could make a reality TV show where viewers vote on which convict they wanna see executed first.  All jokes aside, the thought of execution becoming entertainment really disturbs me.  It makes me think of the brutal gladiator games in Ancient Rome.  

Some researchers have even found evidence suggesting that the death penalty leads to a "brutality effect" in which some people get inspired by the death penalty to commit vigilante style murders that they believe are justified.  

So if the death penalty doesn't deter violence, why do it?  It comes back to the argument that they just deserve it... so even if some wrongfully convicted people get executed, it's worth it because we're killing real murderers, too.  And I just cannot agree with that.  I do not want to lower myself to the level of the murderer, who takes satisfaction in the death of another person.  Even if that person is a total scumbag, let them live out the rest of their life in prison.  A life sentence seems like a more of a punishment to me than a quick death anyway.

Edited by JerrySizzler, 31 October 2008 - 01:00 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#38 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3161 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

Jerry, I think you hit the nail on the head. Good points!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users