Why does the media never talk about MLK's "other side"?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Reepicheep77

Reepicheep77

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

True. But notice I did say that there is no reason MLK needs a holiday for himself. But I think I'm getting off the subject, so I'll stop.

As to your question in the title of this thread, I think the answer is quite apparent actually. It would be considered very racist of the media if they preached about the bad things MLK did. He is considered a great hero, and in our society today whites can't attack any sort of "black freedom" movement without immediately being branded as racist and filthy scum. Sometimes they can't even speak against a black person without being accused of as a racist. Even right now as I am typing this, I was considering saying I'm not racist so none of you will point at me and go off on a rant.

So, with these silly notions in our society, most of the media is afraid to bring out the bad in him because of his race and motives.
For Narnia and the North!

#22 Treasure

Treasure

CEO

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

I think the point is, that he did great things for this country.  His actions should definitely be celebrated, but I would agree that the person himself should not be praised and exalted as some sort of hero.  A hero is someone whose character you aspire to recreate.  As Mretz pointed out, based on the man's character, he'd make a lousy role model.  Sooo... I would tend to agree that we should definitely remember the good that the man did for this country, but perhaps forget about the man himself... if that's even possible.

#23 MoneySamurai

MoneySamurai

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:10 AM

everyone has other side
if you are too pure you should be a monk
yes MLK is a man and he can do lots of bad things but still do good things
MLK isn't hero even Batman had hard time with Cat woman  so let MLK rest in peacE.
Posted Image

#24 Ignareint

Ignareint

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:40 AM

I think the books and tapes mentioned above talk enough about his "other side", so I guess the media doesn't really have to be involved in this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users