ladyk

SuperTrooper

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

View Postbrittmarie, on Sep 3 2008, 09:28 AM, said:

View Postladyk, on Sep 3 2008, 06:48 AM, said:

In my religion a man can marry someone younger than him, but in my religion you're also supposed to obey the laws of the land that you live in. If in your society the law says an 18 year old can not be with a 17 year old in an intimate way, then it is wrong, and should not be practiced. In my religion a 14 year old who is ready for marriage and desires to do so, can marry when and who she wants because she is of consenting age, unlike in Western society where a person who is puberty is considered a child. I actually don't care if you understand that or not. Sorry.

I don't know where you live, but in the States, the youngest age of consent is 16.

I know that. I was born and raised here in the U.S. I was just giving  a parable.

#22 ladyk

ladyk

SuperTrooper

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

View PostLaura, on Sep 3 2008, 09:41 AM, said:

I just think it's really sad that, in a world where there is constant suffering (war, homelessness, hunger, disease), THIS is what the government is wasting their time discussing... punishing people by denying them rights for LOVING one another! We're upset by people LOVING! We'd rather have gays and lesbians either a.) not be married at all or b.) be in false marriages where they don't actually love the person, but they're at least accepted in society. We'd rather have this than allow them to live a life of happiness. They're being punished for loving the wrong person! Meanwhile, people are unable to afford gas, losing their jobs, and experiencing foreclosure on their homes. Where are our priorities?

Those are high on the priority list. It's just that gay marriage happens to also be on that list.

#23 wargames2007

wargames2007

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

If two girls or two guy want marry each other and they in love, let them. It shouldn't be up to other people to tell them what to do.
Posted Image

#24 Mistybabe

Mistybabe

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

I just think it's really sad that, in a world where there is constant suffering (war, homelessness, hunger, disease), THIS is what the government is wasting their time discussing... punishing people by denying them rights for LOVING one another! We're upset by people LOVING! We'd rather have gays and lesbians either a.) not be married at all or b.) be in false marriages where they don't actually love the person, but they're at least accepted in society. We'd rather have this than allow them to live a life of happiness. They're being punished for loving the wrong person! Meanwhile, people are unable to afford gas, losing their jobs, and experiencing foreclosure on their homes. Where are our priorities?

Laura, my friend, I couldn't agree more!! Well said!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
06/24/08 - Made V.I.P
07/31/08 - Completed the Treasure Hunt
01/30/09 - Got "Jack's Hat" = Happiness!

http://www.b-n-mommies.blogspot.com

Posted Image

#25 brittmarie

brittmarie

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6667 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

View PostMistygrl70, on Sep 3 2008, 10:01 AM, said:

Laura, my friend, I couldn't agree more!! Well said!

Ditto that

#26 kst8no1

kst8no1

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

Well who ever said you need to be married to prove your love to another person?  Who says that a person who dates a person for 10 months has less love for each other than a couple whos dated for 10 years?

IMO marriage has been and always should be between one man and one woman.  Period.

But like a said you dont need marriage to prove your love so Im sure 2 guys, 2 girls, or even a guy and a girl, could survive not getting married.

And really if you think about it, the gays and lesbians have made the gay marriage thing the big issue it is today.  I mean gay couples survived in the 60s-90s but then all of a sudden a couple of gay couples made some noise and then the rest of them followed.  The govt gave them a middle ground in allowing them unions instead of marriages, but the gay couples didnt want that so in reality its their fault :P
Posted Image

#27 Laura

Laura

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

Gay couples "survived" the 60s-90s? That's your argument?

There were also hundreds of slaves who survived that whole pre-Civil War thing, too- should we revert back to that as well?

Gay couples have had to endure stigma, ridicule, and hatred as a punishment for loving each other. Many lived a lifetime of emptiness because they had to choose between being outcast from their family, friends, and society and living a life without a person that they truly loved. At one point, homosexuality was considered a mental illness that needed to be "fixed," suggesting that there is something "wrong" with people who are attracted to the same sex.

Yes, gay couples have "survived" until now. They survived when they weren't allowed to be holding the hand of their significant other at their bedside as he or she died because only "family" was allowed in hospital rooms, even though they were in a 30-year relationship. They survived not having the same tax breaks or insurance coverage as married couples. They survived being gawked at, or worse, physically assaulted, for holding their significant other's hand in public.

Actions in the past shouldn't dictate what happens next. We have a number of things in our history that we as Americans aren't proud of. If we based our future off what people have "survived," then we'd still have slaves, females wouldn't be allowed to vote, and different racial groups wouldn't be able to drink out of the same drinking fountain.

PS- For anyone against gay marriage, I'd like to know why it bothers you. How does what they do behind closed doors affect you?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 ladyk

ladyk

SuperTrooper

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

Laura, nothing gay people do behind closed doors affects me, which is why I stated that even though I don't support homosexuality altogether, I have no say, nor do I care about what the government allows them to do. As long as they're not trying to impose on me and my rights to my individual beliefs, then so be it. I don't even want a part in it.

#29 kst8no1

kst8no1

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

I meant that gay couples survived not being married to each other, but now a days it seems like they cant be together w/o a marriage license.

The only thing that bothers me is that I believe marriage is for a man and a woman.  I really dont care what gay people do behind closed doors its their business and gay people can love whoever they want, but getting married isnt a requirement for them.  What I dont understand is why gay people want to get married, like I said before the govt gave you unions which is practically the same thing and gays didnt want it.
Posted Image

#30 ladyk

ladyk

SuperTrooper

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

View Postkst8no1, on Sep 3 2008, 11:43 AM, said:

I meant that gay couples survived not being married to each other, but now a days it seems like they cant be together w/o a marriage license.

I think it's because they need to prove something. That's my opinion on that. I don't think gay people even cared about getting married back in the day until someone caused an uproar.

Why are people acting like being openly gay is something new? Do we not remember Sodom and Gamore, and the Romans. It was like a sport to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)