34 replies to this topic

#21 Jatsu

Jatsu

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

Are we talking sci-fi insta-cloning, or the kind of cloning that can be done today?  The current cloning method doesn't produce an exact copy.  It results in a person with the same DNA as another person, no more.  It's basically a synthetic identical twin born long after the original.  Can we create a clone of Mother Theresa or MLK?  Sure.  Will they turn out exactly like the originals?  No, because they'd be raised in different environments and have vastly different experiences.

#22 Jatsu

Jatsu

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

View PostIgnareint, on Sep 11 2008, 01:32 AM, said:

View Postwargames2007, on Sep 10 2008, 09:54 PM, said:

Wonder what would happen if you put human DNA, and animal DNA together.

Do you think it's going to be possible? XD Well, so far it can't be done, but maybe... :-P
Human/mouse chimeras have been created countless times...

#23 Ignareint

Ignareint

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:18 AM

View PostJatsu, on Sep 11 2008, 12:52 PM, said:

View PostIgnareint, on Sep 11 2008, 01:32 AM, said:

View Postwargames2007, on Sep 10 2008, 09:54 PM, said:

Wonder what would happen if you put human DNA, and animal DNA together.

Do you think it's going to be possible? XD Well, so far it can't be done, but maybe... :-P
Human/mouse chimeras have been created countless times...

Whoa, really? Then maybe I just haven't heard of it. :-P

#24 bankhead1

bankhead1

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

clone lisa raye cuz i'm mad she's married. so i'm wit it
bankhead1

#25 crazooster

crazooster

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

View PostJatsu, on Sep 11 2008, 01:42 AM, said:

Are we talking sci-fi insta-cloning, or the kind of cloning that can be done today?  The current cloning method doesn't produce an exact copy.  It results in a person with the same DNA as another person, no more.  It's basically a synthetic identical twin born long after the original.  Can we create a clone of Mother Theresa or MLK?  Sure.  Will they turn out exactly like the originals?  No, because they'd be raised in different environments and have vastly different experiences.

Right!
  So much depends on the environmental, cultural, and physical aspects of the clone's life.  At best a clone of yourself would like a close brother or sister, or even a fraternal twin.  But definitely not an exact replica.  Today the issues with cloning lie in a lot of ethical and moral values.  Could people be trusted not to clone humans and harvest the infant for their internal organs?  On a personal note I feel cloning is not a advancement that should be used regularly.  Surely if something were to happen with the reproductive capabilities of a species such as humans, Children of Men??, I would reconsider the possibility of cloning.  Vaguely put, opinions on cloning are just like that of abortion and lie in the eye of the beholder.
Posted Image
Trooper Number: 356388

#26 dissarming

dissarming

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

The world cant handle what we have already and some want to clone more? Not me.
Thanks for the Xbox 360, TT.
Made VIP 4/1/09!
5/15 VIP Rewards!
Completed the Hunt 5/18/09! Thanks TT for the $100.00
Got all 4 relics in May 09 w/ Mabutu's Healers in 1 month! Thx TT for the $50.
6/09 $50.00 Visa Gift Card
6/15 VIP Rewards!

Christine

#27 Guest_Angie269983_*

Guest_Angie269983_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

I dont think that cloning should be done i think it is a creation of God! Just my views of it, but people are going to do what they want to do.. I would hate to be the one doing the cloning....Would it be dumb if they cloned a human? Cuz how would it get a soul?

#28 wargames2007

wargames2007

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Cloning should be done, they can clone farm animals and use it to feed third world country's, and starving people.
They can also use cloning for blood. being that we in shot supply of it, they can also use it for body organs, being that people are on transplant list for year.
Just don't do any human cloning.
Posted Image

#29 neolk77

neolk77

Beginner

• New Trooper
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

Cloning animals is fine, we do lots of ****ed up **** to them already. It will be a very long time until we can clone without lots of birth defects and issues, so cloning humans shouldn't even be a debate until several years from now.

#30 408nate08

408nate08

Beginner

• New Trooper
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

My personal view on cloning is that is should be controlled to a certain extent.
I don't believe that human beings or animals should be cloned; it's wrong ethically and goes against God. Like I said, it should be controlled to a certain extent, which is why I believe that if any type of cloning is going to take place, clone plants. If we cloned plants, we would have an abundance of fruits and vegetables that would help to feed those who reside in other third world countries, ones that struggle to eat every day, ones that don't have the luxury of walking down the street for a burger at McDonalds. This would essentially end world hunger if used in the proper manner. As far as animals go, if we excessively clone animals, there is eventually going to be a day where all we're going to have on this Earth is genetically modified meat to eat. What happens if one day we find out that cloned animals, such as cows, chickens, etc., all have some sort of disease due to their being clones? What other meat will we have if all the naturally-born animals have been eradicated due to clones? I just found out the other day that MySpace can actually contribute to one's possibility of getting cancer. Not all of humanities inventions are completely infallible, which is why I say that a lot more research should be done on the possible health and safety hazards of consuming cloned animals. And for humans --- that's just completely wrong. How can they be so sure that the boy or girl "born" through the cloning process will not have emotional instabilities later in life, coming to realize that he/she a product of science and experimentation rather than a natural or God-given human being in this world? Who will be his/her mother? Father? Brother? Sister? Cousin? How many years will the clone live for? The way I see it, they're creating a life then slowly ruining it indirectly. If a parent takes his/her child to be cloned, for example, and the cloned child doesn't come out the way they want (like the original child, or what have you), we get an increase in child abuse and child ignorance. How exactly will this help our country? With all the problems we have in America, why is it that America needs to be cloning human beings? Who can truly benefit from the unsolicited birth of a person?
That's basically all I have to say on the subject.  :)

- Nate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users