#1 Othercat

Othercat

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

Do you think it's ok to spank kids?

I don't. I have 5 kids that behave (for the most part) and are respectful, and I've never had to spank them.

#2 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

I think time outs work better. But I think it's funny when people send their kids to their rooms for a time out. My mom used to do that, so I loved time outs.  :lol: My 5 year old still needs to learn that if he would go to time out without throwing a fit, he wouldn't have to sit there as long.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#3 Guest_anthony06914_*

Guest_anthony06914_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

I don't think it's okay for a parent to spank their  kids?

The reason why it is not okay is because, it is child abuse.

Parents can get reported for hitting their kids.if someone notices the marks on the kid at the kids school or somewhere else.

But as of what willjaysmom had said about the timeout.I agree with her.

Edited by anthony06914, 13 November 2008 - 09:48 AM.

#4 blight

blight

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

I got sent to my room never spanked...lol but its ok cause of course theres a tv and a pc in my room..lol
Posted Image

#5 Othercat

Othercat

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

I loved timeout as a teen. I kinda saw it as my parents forcing me to watch tv. lol. Because of that, my kids spend timeout on a chair in the laundry room.

#6 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

View PostOthercat, on Nov 13 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

I loved timeout as a teen. I kinda saw it as my parents forcing me to watch tv. lol. Because of that, my kids spend timeout on a chair in the laundry room.
lol...Mine too!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#7 Laura

Laura

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

Time-out has to be done properly for it to be effective. When kids have "time-out" in their room, with a TV, toys, phone, etc., that's not much of a punishment, and behavior likely won't change.

In my opinion, spanking is violence. Hitting your child anywhere else on the body would be viewed as abuse, so why is hitting on the backside viewed as anything different (and even given a different name)?

Since I'm sure I'll be told that there's no scientific evidence, I'll begin a lit search in a minute on spanking, but research suggests that violent behavior towards kids simply promotes children to also be more aggressive. Spanking is a form of intimidating a child rather than teaching right from wrong. I'd rather my kids understand what the problem is, what an alternative way of behaving is, and have priviliges taken away as a result of bad behavior instead of intimidating them into listening via spanking.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 mretzloff

mretzloff

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

I don't think spanking solves anything. All it does is make the kid more angry.

#9 Othercat

Othercat

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:06 AM

View PostLaura, on Nov 13 2008, 04:55 PM, said:

Time-out has to be done properly for it to be effective. When kids have "time-out" in their room, with a TV, toys, phone, etc., that's not much of a punishment, and behavior likely won't change.

In my opinion, spanking is violence. Hitting your child anywhere else on the body would be viewed as abuse, so why is hitting on the backside viewed as anything different (and even given a different name)?

Since I'm sure I'll be told that there's no scientific evidence, I'll begin a lit search in a minute on spanking, but research suggests that violent behavior towards kids simply promotes children to also be more aggressive. Spanking is a form of intimidating a child rather than teaching right from wrong. I'd rather my kids understand what the problem is, what an alternative way of behaving is, and have priviliges taken away as a result of bad behavior instead of intimidating them into listening via spanking.

DSS actually has rules for spanking. "Open handed, through clothing or a diaper, without leaving marks". It's stupid if you ask me. It's a backwards way of thinking. If my son hits my daughter, how can I tell him it's wrong to hit and then hit him(even on the but)? What does that teach him?
My kids don't get out of timeout until they can tell me what they did wrong, why it's wrong, and apologize.

Funny Story :P
My oldest has even put himself in timeout a couple times. I was sitting in the living room(5 years ago) and I heard a smack and a scream. Before I could even get up to see what happened, my 5 year old son comes out and says "It was worth it.". He then went to the time out chair, set the timer and sat down. When the bell rang, he got up, apologized to his sister and let her play his playstation game.

#10 dantheman777

dantheman777

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

There's a huge difference between spanking on the bottom for behavior modification purposes and things that "leave a mark" that a school nurse can detect.

now, if you can't seem to find that fine line and stay in that boundry, then as a parent, I advise you to use any other method available to you to guide the behavior of your child.  spanking is a last resort... if pulling, pushing, and having the kid thrash themselves on the floor or against the wall during tantrums because time out isn't going as planned, then spanking may actually be a less violent option.

Generally all I got to do is tell one of my kids they need to apologize and they know they've done wrong.  When they laugh in my face, however, then it's time for time out.  Also, if the child is throwing toys at furniture, animals, or people, the simple thing to do is just take the toy away for awhile.

sometimes the parents are the one who need a time out, before you go nuts. that's when you send them to their room, not for them, for you, lol.

Edited by dantheman777, 14 November 2008 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users