86 replies to this topic

#21 squishytoad

squishytoad

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

i was beat as a child...belt, wiffle bat, paddle, yard stick, etc.

when ryden is bad, he gets a booty smack. not beating the crap out of him but a stern booty smack. remember he is in a diaper. now that is if he is climbing on stuff that he knows he shouldnt be or pulling something down.
a finger in the socket? well hubby is mean and lets him get shocked. learned not to touch them anymore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 MeBeardless

MeBeardless

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

ing should not be used as a punishment as much as for learning respect/ "intimidation" (your kids should know you're the boss--and if they do something bad you are indeed able to punish them).
The below sentence is true.
The above sentence is false.

It seems to me that history
has its way of repeating
so as you all just let it be
I'll address it I to thee...

-Me, 2008

#23 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

I don't really want my kids to behave because they are scared of me. Time out works way better for my kids anyways because they HATE sitting still. My 2 year old is more sensitive. He cries if I even look at him wrong.

Posted Image♥Posted Image♥Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 lovingfamilyof5

lovingfamilyof5

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2370 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I am a young mom I do not believe spanking the butt is a form of child abuse unless you take it to far as in leaving bruises or red marks.

I had talked to child services about the limits on punishment you can spank the butt 1-2 times but that's it. If you can feel the spank on your hand (like pain wise) then you have went to far. then again not all places have the same rules.

I used to put Brendan on my lap, wrap my legs around his legs, wrap my arms around his arms when he is throwing a fit that a time out cant handle. However I found out that's not allowed I guess it can cause injury? I don't see how but I have stopped.

At the age of my children they need to learn now that the parent is the boss and not the child. I believe that if you just take away little things in their lives like toys, cartoons, etc. they are going to learn that there isn't any real punishment in life. As they grow older I don't see the "now a days" punishment being as effective for them. I don't see spanking the butt as being harmful to them what so ever. I grew up with firm but light punishment which including being spanked on the butt by a paddle I see using an object to spank a child is a no no. I grew up just fine.

The way I see these changes in life for children/parents is incorrect one minute they say you can do this then next minute you cant one minute they say you can give your children this the next you cant and so on. I see all the changes being more confusing then effective because there is never an end to it. How are children supposed to grow up when all they get is change this change that? I mean really. I don't go by the book never have never will I am going to teach my children the way I was raised plain and simple (minus the paddle)

#25 Baltozmom

Baltozmom

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:00 AM

When our daughter was 3 she was just aweful  :blink:  and it happened overnight when she turned 3.  We spanked her on the butt when she was totally out of control (usually done when timeout didn't work first)  and it was the only thing that got her attention (If you have ever had a 3 year old you know what I mean. They flip out for absolutely no reason at all and "they" don't even know why!! haha)  We never got close to leaving marks but just the motion is all it took.  Now that she is 4 in a half she is so good and never "needs" a spanking or timeout. She has so much respect and love (not fear).  She can get herself in control by herself.  If she starts to act up we just say "get yourself in conrol".  She use to "follow" other kids being naughty but now she takes pride in being good and we always "overly" praise the good and make examples of other kids being naughty. Kids need to learn self control.  It is our job as a parent to make sure our kids are prepared for the world (whether discipline is spanking or timeout). No one they encounter after entering kindergarden is going to put up with there crap and if they do not learn to make good decisions and keep "themselves"  in check then they are going to have problems for the rest of there lives. Academically and in the workforce and friends. No discipline at all causes kids to be out of control. Parents need to stop trying to be there "bestfriend" and be a "parent" first.  Being friends with your kids will naturally follow.  There are no bad kids, just bad "parenting".  If I don't like the parent and there rules or (lack of) then I don't let my child play with the child.  Plain and simple.  I feel that so many people now do not care about how there actions affect other people.  We are trying to bring  her up to be a loving, caring, thoughtful yet able to make her own decisions and not be a FOLLOWER.  I also want to add that every parent of a 3 year old needs to get some credit!!  The bright side is I am in love again at 4! (smile) 4 1/2 is awesome!!!  I think 3 tantrums is just a stage they have to go through and no one knows why.  Alot of the bad things you hear that happen to kids seem to happen at that age.  Alot of people loose control and that is why sometimes spanking is not good because some people don't know the difference in a swat and hurting or killing someone.  Especially in those circumstances.  Sometimes the child is so tired or frustrated that they just physically "cannot" get control.  What you say you will do before you are a parent and what you "know" when you are a parent are also two different things.  Somethings you just have to let (somethings) go and accept that it is a normal part of there development.  ;)

#26 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:15 AM

View PostBaltozmom, on Jan 3 2009, 02:00 AM, said:

There are no bad kids, just bad "parenting".
I strongly disagree with this. I don't see how you can blame every child's bad behavior on their parents. Maybe for the most part, but that's not the case for all children. My kids are very well behaved. They are respectful and for the most part they do as they are told. Their behavior isn't perfect, but I don't expect it do be. But they are FAR from being out of control. And I don't spank them because, personally, I don't see a need for it. I'm not saying that I am against spanking, but that's just not how I discipline my children.

Posted Image♥Posted Image♥Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 richardtetley

richardtetley

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

I had to spank my 2 boys when they were very young for excessive biting and they are now teenagers and I have not had any real problems with them in at least a decade. I belive we need to disipline them when they are young and we would not have half the violence that society tolerates today. There is a big difference between spanking and beating a child. I was raised by the beating method and decided to be different when raising my children and it has made all the difference in the world. I tried the time out crap, as well as trying to sit and explain right from wrong, but to a three or four year old, it goes in one ear and out the other. Well spanking worked for my children and maybe something else will work for yours. I respect other peoples views and like to debate so feel free to reply if you wish. Long live TT.
Posted Image

#28 mdbraves

mdbraves

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

i totally spank my child my parents did it to me and i turned out great. That is the problem with society today that some of the kids need to get a good spankin
Posted Image

#29 rubberducky101

rubberducky101

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

when i was little i never get a spanking cause i follow 2 rules get good grades in school and don't get in trouble with the law simple as that.
Posted Image

#30 friskypiranha

friskypiranha

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:20 AM

My two cents is that spanking is for lazy parents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users