Smoking should be made illegal

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Your views: (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Should smoking be made illegal??

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bladesfan

Bladesfan

Jack's Apprentice

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2943 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

I understand that I may be taking on a lot of rather angry smokers in this topic, but had to get my view across :P
Everyone knows that smoking kills. That's not why it should be made illegal. Nicotine is very addictive. That's not why it should be illegal.
I am not a smoker because I value my own life; though it seems that through smoking others don't seem to value it too!
Smokers inhale approximately 10% of the smoke from their smoking device of choice. Where does the other 90% go? Right into the air. Unfortunately, it's everyone's air, so whatever a smoker puts in the air, everyone else gets to breathe it in. Generally, it's not that big of a deal, but if someone lights up right next to you and you would be inconvenienced to move, you get a good dose of nicotine, CO, and a bunch of other unthinkable chemicals. Now imagine this smoker thats puffing away into the atmosphere had in the house, or was due to have, a child. That child would be unfairly disadvantaged. Compounds in tobacco smoke can cause learning deficiencies, among other things, so the child is already placed at a lower level even before they are born. It doesn't seem fair that, until the child moves out or the parent stops smoking, that child is often disadvantaged. Until the child knows that smoking is bad, they can't even tell their parents to stop smoking.
Personally I see no need for smoking, it does no good to anyone and to be honest, I would say it causes more stress than it relieves. Therefore I can't help but feel it might as well be banned.

What are your views? :)

Posted Image ~ Bored? View my profile! :) ~ Posted ImagePosted Image x2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Like this site? Click here to join!

#2 timage1

timage1

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

nothing good has ever come from smoking, i think maybe since the taxes are so high on tobacco that it might be one reason there isn't a push to ban them
Posted Image

#3 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

View PostBladesfan, on Mar 23 2009, 07:03 PM, said:

I understand that I may be taking on a lot of rather angry smokers in this topic, but had to get my view across :P
Everyone knows that smoking kills. That's not why it should be made illegal. Nicotine is very addictive. That's not why it should be illegal.
I am not a smoker because I value my own life; though it seems that through smoking others don't seem to value it too!
Smokers inhale approximately 10% of the smoke from their smoking device of choice. Where does the other 90% go? Right into the air. Unfortunately, it's everyone's air, so whatever a smoker puts in the air, everyone else gets to breathe it in. Generally, it's not that big of a deal, but if someone lights up right next to you and you would be inconvenienced to move, you get a good dose of nicotine, CO, and a bunch of other unthinkable chemicals. Now imagine this smoker thats puffing away into the atmosphere had in the house, or was due to have, a child. That child would be unfairly disadvantaged. Compounds in tobacco smoke can cause learning deficiencies, among other things, so the child is already placed at a lower level even before they are born. It doesn't seem fair that, until the child moves out or the parent stops smoking, that child is often disadvantaged. Until the child knows that smoking is bad, they can't even tell their parents to stop smoking.
Personally I see no need for smoking, it does no good to anyone and to be honest, I would say it causes more stress than it relieves. Therefore I can't help but feel it might as well be banned.

What are your views? :)
When I worked at Walmart, the fan in the smoker's lounge in the break room broke so the smoke came out into the rest of the break room and I threw a fit! I don't smoke so I don't feel that I should have to breathe in their smoke. I also hate it when someone who smokes sits next to me at work. It is horrible!

Posted Image♥Posted Image♥Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 wargames2007

wargames2007

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Smoking will never be banned cause it brings in lots of money for the government from all the tax that they put on it.
If I want to smoke, I'm going to, if someone doesn't like it, I don't care, let them move.
Eveyone will tell you how bad it is for you, but we know, and if they never smoked before, they don't know how hard it is to quit.
Posted Image

#5 lovingfamilyof5

lovingfamilyof5

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2370 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

You know people who try to change this and change that is only destroying the US code which is FREEDOM. There is very little freedom left in this country and this country was built on FREEDOM. Then when something is taken away that they like they complain about their freedom and it not being fair to them. People should just stop with the nonsense and leave everyone be and live their own lives.

Tobacco was discovered hundreds of years ago and has been smoked since then. Why try to take it away now? Just imagine trying to take cigarettes away from someone who is a smoker that is like taking crack from a crack head it wont be pretty. This is just like people trying to legalize marijuana I am all for it. I don't smoke it but its doesn't bother me if someone else wants to smoke it and marijuana is one of the biggest problems in the US.

The issue with birth defects...

The majority of birth defects are not caused by people who smoke. People rarely hear about babies who are born with birth defects because of the parent smokes cigarettes. The reason people say this and say that is because some researcher found a few defects caused by smoking and put it in a book for people to read and be cautious of.

Cigarette smoking is not the main cause of all these health risks and defects. If that was the case then the gov. would have made it illegal by now.

Why not ban all the other things that can cause health problems.. Cell phones didn't you hear those can cause tumors, loss of hearing and also is a leading cause in most traffic accidents.. Why not ban cell phones.

Radiation.. Microwaves have tons of radiation and its not good for someone who is pregnant to stand directly in front of a microwave for too long as it can "cause" a birth defect.. Well lets just ban a microwave now huh?

Coffee... Its said by "researchers" that drinking coffee while pregnant is bad too so why not take that away? It can also cause some health risks as well including gum disease which can lead to stroke, cardiovascular disease, etc. (the list goes on)

My point is its not just cigarette smoking that causes all these problems so if your going to take away one thing why not take away the rest while we are at it.. Though I am sure those people who are wanting the smoking to be ban they would disagree because they don't think stuff that they like should be taken.(its said also that coffee is addictive too)

Instead of people worrying about the small things that are a "problem" for them and trying to change it.. Why not worry about the bigger issues we are facing like not having job to go back to. We are losing housing at a rapid rate, we are already in debt and losing even more money by stupid people who want new roads built that go no where. (spending billions of our tax dollars) there are more issues worth every ones time then cigarettes. The only reason they are raising the price of cigarettes and other things is to make up for the stupidity others are causing by wasting away our money.

That is all I have to say on this issue.

#6 dissarming

dissarming

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

I don't smoke, never have, never will. However my Mom smokes and the one time she tried to stop we begged her to light up. She was the nastiest person to be around and I hope she never stops smoking if that is what she will be like! I don't think it should be illegal and I am sure that it will never be, for the simple fact of MONEY.
Thanks for the Xbox 360, TT.
Made VIP 4/1/09!
5/15 VIP Rewards!
Completed the Hunt 5/18/09! Thanks TT for the $100.00
Got all 4 relics in May 09 w/ Mabutu's Healers in 1 month! Thx TT for the $50.
6/09 $50.00 Visa Gift Card
6/15 VIP Rewards!

Christine

#7 Punkyc7

Punkyc7

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6803 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

I disagree
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Bladesfan

Bladesfan

Jack's Apprentice

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2943 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

View PostPunkyc7, on Mar 25 2009, 10:00 PM, said:

I disagree

:P Punky! You're supposed to come up with a legitimate argument why you disagree!!

Posted Image ~ Bored? View my profile! :) ~ Posted ImagePosted Image x2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Like this site? Click here to join!

#9 JerrySizzler

JerrySizzler

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

Aside from the debatable "civil liberties" of smokers, banning commodities that there is demand for never EVER works- it just creates a black market for the product, which in turn leads to more crime.  Look at what happened in America during the (alcohol) Prohibition.  Look at what continues to happen due to the drug war.  

Now, I'm not a tobacco smoker.  I think it's unhealthy, bad for the environment, and generally disgusting.  And I think I am in favor of banning smoking inside restaurants and bars to protect the health of the workers as well as any children who get brought there against their will.  We have a (indoor) public smoking ban here in the Philadelphia area.  On the plus side I can go into any bar / restaurant without having to inhale toxic fumes.  On the downside there's often a gauntlet of smokers to walk through on the sidewalk outside every bar anyway.  

My point is that people who are addicted to nicotine are going to smoke and a ban won't change that.  Maybe one thing we could work towards that would solve the problem is make nicotine chewing gum / patches more affordable so that people who want to quit smoking could.  I saw an ad for a new product awhile back (can't remember the name) but it's basically a fake cigarette that emits only water vapor which is designed to help people wean off of nicotine by (safely) simulating the habit.  

Instead of trying to ban it, we should be looking for ways to help smokers who want to quit and educating kids about the health risks so they won't start.  Also, aren't a lot of the toxic chemicals in cigarettes added as preservatives?  Wouldn't it be possible for a company to produce a cigarette that is at least not as unhealthy and environmentally unfriendly?  With "going green" being so big these days I figure there would be tobacco companies coming out with "green" cigarettes.

Edited by JerrySizzler, 01 April 2009 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 jackpotmoney

jackpotmoney

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

Smoking weed and marijuana is illegal.
cocaine is illegal.

But people still do it anyways.

Smoking is so strong that you see it everywhere you go.

I think i sorta disagree with smoking being illegal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users