Is being gay a choice?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Is being gay a choice? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Is being gay a learned behaviour, or a natural occurance?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

View Postwargames2007, on May 19 2009, 01:49 PM, said:

View Postwilljaysmom, on May 19 2009, 01:12 PM, said:

My grandma has lesbian birds. :P
Nothing wrong with that, I love lesbian girls too. :lol:
Haha, so did her male bird. He liked to watch... :rolleyes:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#22 tsukitenshi

tsukitenshi

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

I would like to point out that there have been numerous suicides by people who find that they are attracted to the same sex but believe that that is immoral. People brought up being taught that it is "evil" or "against God" often suffer greatly when they discover they are homosexual; this would not be the case if it was a choice. And they certainly wouldn't resort to suicide if they could just choose to be straight.
Posted Image

#23 Mistybabe

Mistybabe

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

View Posttsukitenshi, on May 19 2009, 04:36 PM, said:

I would like to point out that there have been numerous suicides by people who find that they are attracted to the same sex but believe that that is immoral. People brought up being taught that it is "evil" or "against God" often suffer greatly when they discover they are homosexual; this would not be the case if it was a choice. And they certainly wouldn't resort to suicide if they could just choose to be straight.

That could also be chalked up to psychological issues...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
06/24/08 - Made V.I.P
07/31/08 - Completed the Treasure Hunt
01/30/09 - Got "Jack's Hat" = Happiness!

http://www.b-n-mommies.blogspot.com

Posted Image

#24 tsukitenshi

tsukitenshi

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

View PostMistybabe, on May 20 2009, 11:44 AM, said:

View Posttsukitenshi, on May 19 2009, 04:36 PM, said:

That could also be chalked up to psychological issues...

How so? Or rather, which part of what I said are you referring to?
Posted Image

#25 Bladesfan

Bladesfan

Jack's Apprentice

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

View Postwargames2007, on May 19 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

View Postwilljaysmom, on May 19 2009, 01:12 PM, said:

My grandma has lesbian birds. :P
Nothing wrong with that, I love lesbian girls too. :lol:

But why are you guys still talking about this, why does it matter if someone is gay or not. If they are, let them, who really cares how they became gay, they just want to live they life in peace like everyone else.

Because Wargames mate, thats kinda what the debate forums for :P And its not like we're digging at homosexuals at all, just debating how people become gay. Its interesting to listen to other people's viewpoints :)

Posted Image ~ Bored? View my profile! :) ~ Posted ImagePosted Image x2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Like this site? Click here to join!

#26 hoboman00

hoboman00

Archaeologist

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

I think that it is learned. It seems that the amount of gay people in the world is increasing, and I think that influences other people to think that they are gay. However, one could argue that people just have more courage to "come out" now that gays are more accepted.

Either way, I think that it is wrong to discriminate against gay people. That being said, I think that gay marriage is a totally different matter, and I don't think that denying gays marriage rights is an act of discrimination, prejudice, or hate.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#27 friskypiranha

friskypiranha

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

In my opinion 1% learning is self, and the other 99% is from other people.  You learn two points of view. One is gay is wrong, the other okay. What makes you decide which one is right? Although it's only 1% of your knowledge, the things you learn and discover about yourself and the world are used to tip the scales. You always have a choice in your decisions, your choice impact just varies.

#28 tsukitenshi

tsukitenshi

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

View Postfriskypiranha, on May 21 2009, 10:22 PM, said:

You always have a choice in your decisions

The question here is, is it a decision? I didn't decide to me female, for example ;)

The problem I see with your theory is that some homosexuals grew up firmly believing that homosexuality was a sin. I personally have a friend like this. His family, friends, his entire community all shared this view, but despite this he found himself be attracted to other males and not to females.

Further, there are plenty of people who have family that are homosexual, and that is not any indication that they will be homosexual. Children raised by homosexuals are no more likely to be homosexual than those raised by straight parents. Further, before, I don't know, maybe the 70s? Homosexuality was very much a stigma; most homosexuals were subjected to only one viewpoint, that being homosexual as wrong. That didn't change who they were attracted to.

(Note: not trying to say that your point is wrong, but this is what I know, and I think that at the very least it is less influenced than you suggest :))
Posted Image

#29 Guest_gotpika_*

Guest_gotpika_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

it's a diseases it's uncurabale only god can cure it

#30 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

View Postgotpika, on Jun 7 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

it's a diseases it's uncurabale only god can cure it

That is a horrible thing to say. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean you need to say it's a disease.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users