6 replies to this topic

#1 Strickalator

Strickalator

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

I just got a check from a company called Apex Systems Inc. saying that I will be paid $400 for spending money at mcdonalds,walmart and then sending a Western Union Money Order as a customer as part of a job, there is a check from Bank of America for $2795, and it says to keep $400 and then spend the rest. I am not sure if this is a scam, but I thought if anyone else has heard of this or recieved a letter please let me know.

#2 brittmarie

brittmarie

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

Anything that involves you cashing a Western Union or any other type of money order and then sending part back screams scam. Stay away.

#3 Laura

Laura

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

http://answers.yahoo...24191352AAroDyP

Here's an interesting (and related) read.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 sarahricks

sarahricks

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I've gotten lots of those kinds of checks. From what I've heard you cash it send the money to them then the check bounces and the bank comes after you for the money and the guy who sent you the check is no where to be found.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagex2

#5 Strickalator

Strickalator

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

View Postsarahricks, on Jun 9 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

I've gotten lots of those kinds of checks. From what I've heard you cash it send the money to them then the check bounces and the bank comes after you for the money and the guy who sent you the check is no where to be found.

:angry:  :o yeah i just called apex systems (the real one ) based on this on the yahoo link

have received the exact same letter.
And i took it to the bank and they say its a scam.
They took copies of it and are sending it to a fraud company.
I just recieved a email saying this:

Apex Systems, Inc. is a technical staffing company and we do not remit any checks to anyone other than our clients. We have heard numerous reports of fraudulent checks being sent out with our company name on it, but these checks are in no way from Apex Systems, Inc. They are fraudulent. Do not deposit this check into your account. Do not follow the instructions on the letter. It is all fraudulent and it is not from our company in any way. Our legal department has been working for months on this issue.
If you have any questions, please call us at 866-612-2739.

Thank you,
Apex Systems, Inc. Website Inquiry

but this apparently real apex now wants me to send the check to them at thier legal department, and say that it is a scam. I better call the BBB (already called bank of america but they don't have a record of this check, and they told me to go to my bank which is chase)

Edited by Strickalator, 09 June 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#6 Mistybabe

Mistybabe

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

We hand them over to the police dept. here as they come in LOL.

I get about 1 a month sometimes 2.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
06/24/08 - Made V.I.P
07/31/08 - Completed the Treasure Hunt
01/30/09 - Got "Jack's Hat" = Happiness!

http://www.b-n-mommies.blogspot.com

Posted Image

#7 airforcebigtank

airforcebigtank

Grave Robber

• Regular Trooper
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

I've never gotten one of those check scams, but I've heard about them all too often.  If they 'really' wanted to GIVE you money, they would just send you the check, not have you spend money first.  All they want is the money you are going to send them.  Good job on listening to your senses and checking it out before doing something like that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users