• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ifiris

ifiris

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

I chose this topic for a speech class I had last semester, just want to know what you guys thought about it. Should people with a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) be able to carry their gun on a college campus or university?
Posted Image

#2 tsukitenshi

tsukitenshi

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:52 PM

If they have a permit, I don't see why not. There is no more likelihood of someone taking your gun off you at a university then there is at, say, a super market, or bus station. And if the concern is with the person WITH the permit... then they shouldn't have a permit no matter WHERE they are.
Posted Image

#3 PatrickJonathan

PatrickJonathan

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2819 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

I'd rather have 1000 people walking around anywhere with a license to conceal a registered weapon than one person even owning a unregistered gun unlicensed period, and if they are licensed to conceal carry where they chose to then let them do it.
I could understand and expect a policy where the licensed person (attending a college) should be required to inform the administration that they do so. only because of the chance of someone seeing it and reacting by calling someone to report  say joe/jane smith has a gun in their jacket/purse or whatever ,,,, (quick check of the records). it's all good he has a permit to do so. as long as they are not threatening anyone or playing around like a fool there is nothing to be concerned with. ultimately though I think it would be less likely a problem if people just wore a holster open on their belt over the clothes.

personally I've thought of getting a concealed weapons permit many times and fortunately i live in PA where it's relatively easy to do so provided you meet the requirements of not being found to be a danger. The only reason i don't is simple, guns are heavy and cumbersome ,especially worn concealed, after a while and PA lets you carry openly side arm holster without a permit. granted that means a cop is more likely to stop you and ask for your registration/reason but they can't do anything beyond that if you aren't doing anything wrong. they also only would bother you if you look suspicious. not sure off hand if PA lets you carry on a college campus but i know public and private childrens schools and court houses are not allowed under any circumstances.

bottom line, baring understandable restrictions , it's my right to do and should not be interfered with.

#4 tsukitenshi

tsukitenshi

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

I actually didn't think of a student having one... I would actually say no if they are loving in a dorm. People go in and out of dorm rooms all the time, it would be easy to take. I went to the bathroom once and there were three of my friends chatting on my bed when I came back less than five minutes later xD  If they kept it locked up, that would be better, but I'd still be concerned.
Posted Image

#5 ifiris

ifiris

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Yeah that's what I meant, anyone on campus with a CHL being able to carry a gun. I'm not sure how it is everywehre else, but in Texas you have to be 21 to get a CHL licence. So yeah a student with a CHL would be able to carry a gun to class, IF the state passed the law on that. It's pretty easy to get a CHL here too, just have to be mentally sane when you get the CHL and not have a felony charge. Just want to know what people think of others with CHL being able to carry there guns on campus. Not just the professors, but anyone who is over 21 and is able to get a CHL. Should this be allowed or not? and what would be your biggest concerns on it.

Edited by ifiris, 30 June 2009 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Bladesfan

Bladesfan

Jack's Apprentice

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2943 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:56 AM

I'd say no to guns in general, I can't understand why anyone would feel the urge to actually carry one, let alone in a college where young people are studying.
I wouldn't care if it was licensed or not, I'd still be 100% against the idea :S

Posted Image ~ Bored? View my profile! :) ~ Posted ImagePosted Image x2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Like this site? Click here to join!

#7 IcemanUnlimited

IcemanUnlimited

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

Maybe if some responsible people with guns were on campus, those "School Shooters" wouldn't get the chance to do so much damage. I see NOTHING wrong with legally having a firearm on campus. There are plenty of crimes that occur on campus... I say, let people choose not to be a victim.

Edit: Holy crap, I just saw when the last post was... Oh well, these forums aren't very active anyway.

Edited by IcemanUnlimited, 14 November 2010 - 12:50 AM.

#8 TreasureTech

TreasureTech

Programmer

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

It happens, Icy.

Personally, I think people should be allowed to carry just about anywhere. States with strict gun laws have HIGH crime ESPECIALLY gun crime. States with loose or no gun laws have low violent crime. Why? Because criminals think twice.

New York has the 2nd strictest gun laws in the nation. They also have the HIGHEST crime rate. Vermont, on the other hand, has one real gun law. That's the "no cities shall pass gun laws" law. Guess what their violent crime level is?

Now, if these states were on opposite sides of the map, I could let you throw the argument that it's not related, but they border each other.
Posted Image

#9 bunnysound

bunnysound

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

View PostTreasureTech, on 16 November 2010 - 08:25 AM, said:

New York has the 2nd strictest gun laws in the nation. They also have the HIGHEST crime rate. Vermont, on the other hand, has one real gun law. That's the "no cities shall pass gun laws" law. Guess what their violent crime level is?

Now, if these states were on opposite sides of the map, I could let you throw the argument that it's not related, but they border each other.

To be fair, New York has a lot more people.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Posted Image x 2

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 ill05nino

ill05nino

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

And actually, to piggy back on what Bunny Just said, not only does NY have a MUCH larger population, but when you look at the statistics, Vermont has more firearm caused deaths per 100,000 residents than New York.

#34 -- Vermont -- 9.6 Deaths per 100,000 residents
#46 -- New York -- 5.1 Deaths per 100,000 residents

So per capita, as of 2009, Vermont has more deaths caused by firearms. :)

FYI... Top 5 in the country, as of 2009, are as follows:

#1 -- District of Columbia -- 31.2 Deaths per 100,000 residents
#2 -- Alaska -- 20.0 Deaths per 100,000 residents
#3 -- Louisiana -- 19.5 Deaths per 100,000 residents
#4 -- Wyoming -- 18.8 Deaths per 100,000 residents
#5 -- Arizona -- 18.0 Deaths per 100,000 residents

Now to be a little fair, the number 1 (DC) is just a city, so places like New Orleans, which actually has a higher death rate caused by guns than DC, are brought down to a lower number because the rest of Louisiana has extremely low numbers, and DC doesn't get that advantage. However, for arguments sake, you can leave DC off the list, just thought I'd share that with ya!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users