Religion...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Religion... (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you dislike it when people try and "convert" you to their religion?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 PatrickJonathan

PatrickJonathan

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2819 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well I accidentally clicked Yes in the Vote/Poll, I meant NO.
I mean No because if someone wants to be judgmental against me that's fine if it's something I won't judge them back for and karma will dictate their fate. The way I look at it ALL religions are the same thing and Beliefs based upon religion are just a way of individualizing religion to make or allow the person think they have control. People can believe what they like and tell me what they want but I believe in one thing that nobody can change, the general ideas behind all religions are right but i subscribe to none because the core of my belief is that we are all one on this earth and this earth is ruled by mother nature who deals our hand by the karma we are dealt. Everything on this earth is controlled by that. Including and not limited to You Me your dog and your cat the grass on the ground and the pollen in in the wind the air you breathe and the god you believe. So when someone comes to me saying I should adopt their religion and believe their beliefs I smile and nod and ask them please explain why because hearing their thoughts will only expand my own and in the end I know theirs is but a part of mine and only if they continue to be overly pushy about it do I flip the tables on them and set them into their place to hear my thoughts on "Religion". The last time that happened was when this morman chick came up to me at an airport and I had nothing better to do so I listened to her and she listened to me respectfully. In the end I wasn't the one who left with a changed mind because she was nothing more than a pawn in the rule of her religion and had nothing to say which I didn't already know. On the other hand she left with a broadened perspective of my thoughts that both agreed and contradicted that which she knew.

EDIT: neat Didn't know until i posted that you can delete your vote and change it.

Edited by PatrickJonathan, 07 August 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#12 Wishes

Wishes

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Makes sense. With everyone's posted opinion. I am not sure how many people have friends that are constantly asking them to church, but I know my friends do that with me all of the time. Religion has many loopholes and the closest thing to religion I have would probably be with a karma, at least that is enough to fit me into a religion category good enough to get my friends to leave me alone for a week or so.

Edited by Wishes, 07 August 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Posted Image

My quest for Happiness:
Posted ImagePosted Image

I wish you a wonderful day full of fulfilled wishes!~

My Gems:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 JerrySizzler

JerrySizzler

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

I am not religious and I do find it very irritating when someone is pushy with their religious beliefs.  I do not understand why some religious people feel so terribly threatened by people with different beliefs. I do think people should have the right to believe whatever the heck they want.  That being said, they should *never* be allowed to harm others in the name of their religion.  It is an unfortunate fact that throughout history religion has been used as an excuse to justify many of mankind's worst atrocities (e.g., the Inquisition, slavery, genocide, and countless religious wars to name just a few examples).  It is doubtful that terrorist organizations like Al queda could ever be as effective at recruiting new members without organized religion.  I think the world would be a much better place if there was no such thing as organized religion and everyone was free to believe (or not) as they wished.  

Now, I'm also sure there have been individuals who have been inspired to do good things because of their religion.  But was religion ever really necessary for these people to do good things?  If so, that is rather sad... If a person needs religion to "be good" are they really a good person, or are they simply *acting* good for the promise of rewards in the afterlife?
Posted Image Posted Image

#14 gundam_blade

gundam_blade

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I voted no because I can understand both sides' point of view.  I am a Christian myself, and I do try to convert other to Christianity.  In that way, those people are just trying to do what they think they should be doing (saving you), which is a worthy reason.  However, when I try to convert people, I'm not pushy and I do it in a kind, loving way.  I simply present my evidence and logical reasoning on whatever subject is being discussed.  Then I leave it up to the others to either accept or reject it.  Each person has free will, and you shouldn't force someone to live the same way you do.  Also, you should start out with the positive arguments (you will go to heaven, get your sins removed, etc) rather than just saying you will go to hell if you don't or something.  I'm not saying to leave out the truth if asked, but you should focus more on the positive aspects.  If someone rejects me, I don't get mad or think bad of them.  I can still be their friends.

#15 blight

blight

TreasureTrooper!

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4486 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Gun, That was well said, and I completely agree with you.
Posted Image

#16 Guest_Angie269983_*

Guest_Angie269983_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

The way that I see it is that no one can save yourself except you! I dont try and push ppl, I just ask them to go to church and if they say no then leave it at that! They will come when God tugs at their heart! People shouldn't be so pushy it could cause them to never want to go to church! Thats just my opinion

#17 dexterjrh

dexterjrh

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

I am Christian and have been for years. I was brought up in church by parents and have stay with it since. I myself don`t push people into the Religion thing. But yes do believe in the higher power.
God Loves All

#18 thelilymaid

thelilymaid

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

I'm a Christian, not very devout I'm afraid because I haven't been to church in ages.  
But I think some people are so offended because they're thinking it of a "push."
If someone suggested you tried a new candy bar in the same tone and wording as inviting you to church, you wouldn't flip out over a candy bar. But you sure would over the church thing.
It's human nature to share in something that makes them happy and feel good. Sometimes its a quest to save your soul, but sometimes, people just want to share their happiness. One person may be condescending about and holier-than-thou about it, but the other is only sharing something they benefit from.
Posted Image

#19 vpapeja77

vpapeja77

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

Usually if someone tries to get you to try a new candy bar and you say "No thank you", the other person doesnt **** you to Hell (which has happened to me more times than I care to count). I believe in keeping your religious beliefs to yourself and those at your place of worship.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 willjaysmom

willjaysmom

Jack's Apprentice

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

View Postvpapeja77, on 15 February 2010 - 10:37 PM, said:

Usually if someone tries to get you to try a new candy bar and you say "No thank you", the other person doesnt **** you to Hell (which has happened to me more times than I care to count). I believe in keeping your religious beliefs to yourself and those at your place of worship.
I agree!

To me, someone trying to persuade me to join their religion (or whatever it is that they do) is just as annoying as the fast food workers who ask "Would you like to try (insert menu item here)?". If I wanted to, I would. I don't need suggestions or guidance, I can find what I need on my own.

Posted Image♥Posted Image♥Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users