Religion...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Religion... (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you dislike it when people try and "convert" you to their religion?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Quoting jerrysizzler: I am not religious and I do find it very irritating when someone is pushy with their religious beliefs. I do not understand why some religious people feel so terribly threatened by people with different beliefs. I do think people should have the right to believe whatever the heck they want. That being said, they should *never* be allowed to harm others in the name of their religion. It is an unfortunate fact that throughout history religion has been used as an excuse to justify many of mankind's worst atrocities (e.g., the Inquisition, slavery, genocide, and countless religious wars to name just a few examples). It is doubtful that terrorist organizations like Al queda could ever be as effective at recruiting new members without organized religion. I think the world would be a much better place if there was no such thing as organized religion and everyone was free to believe (or not) as they wished.

Now, I'm also sure there have been individuals who have been inspired to do good things because of their religion. But was religion ever really necessary for these people to do good things? If so, that is rather sad... If a person needs religion to "be good" are they really a good person, or are they simply *acting* good for the promise of rewards in the afterlife?

Those who fought for their religion is going against their holy book. Killing is not apart of the 5 pillars of Islam and as for TRUE CHRISTIANITY, after Jesus came that law was put away, also TRUE CHRISTIANITY should not have any beliefs that venerate any belief of sun worship cultures like the egyptains assyrians etc.

I'm a JW and i'm planning to become baptized this year. I ran into LDS twice and since I know true christianity i'm not easily deceived but i'll listen to what other people have to say anyway so I voted no. BTW JW stands for Jehovah's witnesses.

P.S. The JW's was tortured by hitler for 1260 days!!!!!

Edited by teflonfanatic, 13 March 2010 - 05:23 PM.

The same thing occurred in the "New Testament," or Christian Greek Scriptures. Professor George Howard goes on to say: "When the Hebrew form for the divine name was eliminated in favor of Greek substitutes in the Septuagint, it was eliminated also from the New Testament quotations of the Septuagint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 hypersweeper

hypersweeper

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostWishes, on 31 July 2009 - 08:09 PM, said:

I know that there are some religions that would either A)dislike you because of your religion or B) try and convert you to their religion. What is your opinion on this. Do you not like it when people do that to you? Have you lost friends because of your religion clashes? Please remember that any offensive material will be deleted. I am curious to know your opinions on the matter.

I don't let it bother me one way or the other! knowing that all people in the world probably do things to annoy other's. With religion I am not a believer that man made religions are the way to decide if someone is going to heaven or not. It says in the Bible that we will be able to tell good from bad people by the way they live there live's and the good that they do for others. I believe that our church is our heart, soul, and mind. Not a building. But I also wouldn't tell someone not to go to church because just like food that our body's need to survive it's the same with spiritual food. If we can get filled with the word of god spiritually by attending a church and coming together to worship I see nothing wrong with it at all. I also don't judge God himself by the religions out there since man is full of sin and people in the religions do horrible things but then people say that, that's what God is like but it's not.
One of the number one commandments God tells us is to Love egother and forgive since we ourselve's also want to be loved and have forgiveness. Make's sense to me. If someone hated me because of my religion I would ask God to help them with there anger and hate issue's. To me there is a creator of us and all the universe. I don't like the thought of us just booming into existence with no real purpose at all. Believing in God tells me that we do have meaning and a purpose in our live's. We're put here to decide whether we're going to choose good or evil. It's almost like a comic book but it's real. Our choice and our freewill was given to us by God almighty who made our brains. I would never try to force someone to believe in a certain religion nor hate them. What I believe is to offer up my views and feelings and let other's decide from there heart's hopefully whether it's true or not.
I believe that there could be no way that feelings would just bang into existence. I think that our feeling or our hearts and what's in our hearts is straight from God.

Edited by hypersweeper, 05 May 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#23 pusiwillow

pusiwillow

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

View PostWishes, on 31 July 2009 - 08:09 PM, said:

Have you lost friends because of your religion clashes?

A very quick story.. I have a friend who has been struggling with her "Spiritual Identity" for many many years. Her daughter was (still is) a Scientology and started to get her mother more involved in her religion. Not for the obvious reasons though, it was because if her mother did not convert, she was going to have to stop talking to her mother and would not be allowed to see her any more. Things like that, in religion, absolutely drives me insane. Breaking up a family just because they all don't have the same beliefs is asinine. It absolutely breaks my heart.

To continue the story, I found some disturbing things out about the religion and just wanted my friend to know both sides of the religion she was diving head first into. She had to stop being my friend or risk the relationship between her and her daughter, just because I wanted her to know about some unfavorable history of the religion. I miss her a lot, and wish I could talk to her again, but every time I try to, she says she's scared that someone might find out that she hasn't cut off all contact with friends or family members who are antagonistic to Scientology, and in turn, she would not be able to contact her daughter ever again. I know that not all religions are like this, but the ones that are should seriously be banned. But then again, I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of religion, and if someone wants to practice that religion no one should stop them..

Religion is a strange thing. It can create a lot of pain, anger, and conflict.
But it can also create peace, love, and fulfillment.
But does the end really justify the means?
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 Alikhy

Alikhy

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:58 AM

This is where I'm at. I'm Catholic. People may not like my religion, fine, that's their right, BUT don't look down on me or make mean remarks about me or my family just because of our religion. I've never lost a friend over religion. These friends are my definition of TRUE friends. I have friends who are Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Wiccan/Pagan, and even friends who are Athiest and Agnostic. They don't preach to me and I don't preach to them. That's them. That's what they do. I am in NO position to judge ANYONE about what they believe in. It is their lives, they're not hurting me, why should I care what religion they are or what they believe in?

I just read a story about a church in Florida that plans to burn copies of the Qu'ran.

Florida Church Burning Qu'ran

Stuff like this makes me mad. I don't think one religion is better than the next. All religions have had their share of violence either present or past. I believe that there are many belief systems across the world, but that the higher power we all pray to or look to for guidance is one and the same. Just with different names and images. I know people won't agree with me on that and say I'm a hypocrite, that's fine. Your opinion. This is just mine. Which is why I would never judge someone or put down their beliefs.
Posted Image

#25 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

View PostAlikhy, on 01 August 2010 - 02:58 AM, said:

This is where I'm at. I'm Catholic. People may not like my religion, fine, that's their right, BUT don't look down on me or make mean remarks about me or my family just because of our religion. I've never lost a friend over religion. These friends are my definition of TRUE friends. I have friends who are Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Wiccan/Pagan, and even friends who are Athiest and Agnostic. They don't preach to me and I don't preach to them. That's them. That's what they do. I am in NO position to judge ANYONE about what they believe in. It is their lives, they're not hurting me, why should I care what religion they are or what they believe in?

I just read a story about a church in Florida that plans to burn copies of the Qu'ran.

Stuff like this makes me mad. I don't think one religion is better than the next. All religions have had their share of violence either present or past. I believe that there are many belief systems across the world, but that the higher power we all pray to or look to for guidance is one and the same. Just with different names and images. I know people won't agree with me on that and say I'm a hypocrite, that's fine. Your opinion. This is just mine. Which is why I would never judge someone or put down their beliefs.

There's a difference between judging and letting your holy book steer you away from what it says is false. As for interfaith, at first they all seem to promote the same thing, but when you look at where it came from you can clearly see the difference. For example, the assyrians used the same symbol Islam uses today.  The Egyptians and many other cultures used the same symbol christendom uses today the cross.  As for separation of families that's supposed to happen, it's been happening since Heaven and will continue to happen(Separation of the then Lucifer and God, then Cain and Abel, Jesus and Judas etc).  As for violence I agree there was a time when there was violence but that has been put away and now the bible attributes ALL modern day violence to "spiritual babylon"(Revelation 18:25)

Know the 6 traits of babylon below and try to aviod it.
1.  The human soul survives death
2.  Spiritism or talking with the dead
3.  Use of images in worship
4.  Use of spells, practically against demons
5.  Trinities or triads of gods
6.  Rule by a powerful priesthood

But don't take my word for it, research yourself and prove for yourself what I said is true.

Proverbs 14:15 reads 15 Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.
The same thing occurred in the "New Testament," or Christian Greek Scriptures. Professor George Howard goes on to say: "When the Hebrew form for the divine name was eliminated in favor of Greek substitutes in the Septuagint, it was eliminated also from the New Testament quotations of the Septuagint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 Watsongirl

Watsongirl

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

You cannot really convert somebody. If you try, they will just get ****ed off about it.
Posted Image

#27 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

View PostWatsongirl, on 04 August 2010 - 10:20 PM, said:

You cannot really convert somebody. If you try, they will just get ****ed off about it.

I learned that if you make application to history, business or science people are more likely to respond, but if you just show them scripture without any application to modern-day life, they immediately say or think, AHH RELIGION, CONSPIRACY, CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!! In the end you have to choose what you want to live for, for other people practically God and his son and the angels, or do you want to live for yourself and for Satan and his demons. That's the choice we ALL have to make.

P.S. People plant but God makes it grow

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Chase1494

Chase1494

Beginner

• New Trooper
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

I am a 100% full Baptist Christain and I can't stand people asking me to turn over to something else. lol It is NOT going to happen!

#29 the--maggot

the--maggot

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

View Postteflonfanatic, on 03 August 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

There's a difference between judging and letting your holy book steer you away from what it says is false. As for interfaith, at first they all seem to promote the same thing, but when you look at where it came from you can clearly see the difference. For example, the assyrians used the same symbol Islam uses today.  The Egyptians and many other cultures used the same symbol christendom uses today the cross.  As for separation of families that's supposed to happen, it's been happening since Heaven and will continue to happen(Separation of the then Lucifer and God, then Cain and Abel, Jesus and Judas etc).  As for violence I agree there was a time when there was violence but that has been put away and now the bible attributes ALL modern day violence to "spiritual babylon"(Revelation 18:25)

But don't take my word for it, research yourself and prove for yourself what I said is true.

Proverbs 14:15 reads 15 Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.

Number 2, isn't talking to Jesus the same as talking to a dead person? or people seeing angels, etc.? And wouldn't a blessing to 'cure' an illness as many religions have also done, be against number 4? they may not be called spells, but praying away something with use of holy water is technically a ritual and can easily be deemed magic.

and there is already a powerful priesthood. its called the Vatican, and its a huge money maker.

Anyway, religion is man made, and christianity originated from Zoroastrinism which was THE first religion to have a good vs. evil concept, apart from religions like the Egyptians or Romans or Greeks who just had a crap load of gods they worshiped. The tax free for all religions started in China to convert more people to their religion. No taxes? Good incentive to join! How it spread every where else I'm not sure, but I find that extremely interesting.

Religion is a hope that you 'live' into a second live, via heaven or hell. Which means people don't take the time to enjoy the life they have now. I mean what, you're transported into another world? Reincarnated into another body? Sit on fluffy clouds or burn in fire? Really now. Those are stories to scare people into behaving. Why not stop and say 'hey, i may not have a second chance at living, so i should enjoy the life I have now!'.
Posted Image

#30 Brooklyn

Brooklyn

Beginner

• New Trooper
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

View Postthe--maggot, on 17 May 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

View Postteflonfanatic, on 03 August 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

Number 2, isn't talking to Jesus the same as talking to a dead person? or people seeing angels, etc.? And wouldn't a blessing to 'cure' an illness as many religions have also done, be against number 4? they may not be called spells, but praying away something with use of holy water is technically a ritual and can easily be deemed magic.

and there is already a powerful priesthood. its called the Vatican, and its a huge money maker.

Anyway, religion is man made, and christianity originated from Zoroastrinism which was THE first religion to have a good vs. evil concept, apart from religions like the Egyptians or Romans or Greeks who just had a crap load of gods they worshiped. The tax free for all religions started in China to convert more people to their religion. No taxes? Good incentive to join! How it spread every where else I'm not sure, but I find that extremely interesting.

Religion is a hope that you 'live' into a second live, via heaven or hell. Which means people don't take the time to enjoy the life they have now. I mean what, you're transported into another world? Reincarnated into another body? Sit on fluffy clouds or burn in fire? Really now. Those are stories to scare people into behaving. Why not stop and say 'hey, i may not have a second chance at living, so i should enjoy the life I have now!'.
The Maggot, to address your 'concerns',
     Talking to Jesus is not considered talking to a dead person because Jesus is not dead. He was crucified and on the third day he rose again, ascending to heaven a little later. A prayer is not a spell. When casting a spell you are trying to accomplish something through your ability or an ability to you. A prayer is a communication from you to God.
      One of the biggest things people like to pull on us Christians is that Christianity or the Bible was man made and doesn't count.
       "All scripture is given  by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."-2 Timothy 3:16 KJV
        Religion is not a hope that you will live in a second life. Some religions don't believe in an after life. I can tell you that Christianity is the KNOWLEDGE that your soul lives on forever. You will either spend eternity in heaven or hell. What you do here on Earth effects your life in eternity. It is very simple to go to heaven. You can't get there from donating money or going to church or any such thing. To get to heaven you must ask Jesus into your heart to save you from the bad things you've done. See, that's why he died on the cross, to save you.
         Now in closing, I know all of you have been ranting on how you hate people trying to 'convert' you and I will agree people sometimes go too far, but this is something to consider. I'm not sure about other religions but I know if a Christian doesn't try to 'convert' people they are selfish or hypocritical. It takes a lot of guts to ask someone to church so if someone does it means they really care about you. Anytime a Christian is concerned about my spirtual state I smile inside.
          I hope all of you discover God's love and have a wonderful RELATIONSHIP with Him because that is really what it is all about.
God Bless :),
Brooklyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users