3 replies to this topic

#1 IcemanUnlimited

IcemanUnlimited

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

In my state, you can own a handgun when you're 18 but you can't BUY it yourself or ammo for it until you're 21. So basically, it's legal to just get a 21 year old friend or relative to buy it for you (which is what I plan on doing anyway). Personally I think you should get full access once you turn 18, but that's just me.. Any opinions on the matter?

#2 Guest_tonglebeak_*

Guest_tonglebeak_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

It's as bad as having to wait until you're 21 to drink.

If you're old enough to die for your country (18), you should be old enough to get trashed.

#3 IcemanUnlimited

IcemanUnlimited

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, on the related note of fighting for your country.. You can join the military when you turn 17 (with parents permission) yet you can't even buy your own handgun until you turn 21 even once you come back after service.

#4 TreasureTech

TreasureTech

Programmer

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

View PostIcemanUnlimited, on 18 June 2010 - 10:32 AM, said:

In my state, you can own a handgun when you're 18 but you can't BUY it yourself or ammo for it until you're 21. So basically, it's legal to just get a 21 year old friend or relative to buy it for you (which is what I plan on doing anyway). Personally I think you should get full access once you turn 18, but that's just me.. Any opinions on the matter?

Bolded section: actually, it's not legal under Federal law. This is called a straw sale. If you buy a gun for someone else, who cannot legally buy it, you are committing a felony. The exception would be a parent giving a gift to their child. On the reverse side, if a dealer sells a gun to you KNOWING you're going to turn around and give it to someone who cannot legally buy one, THEY have committed a felony, and will lose their license.

Federal law trumps state law, thats why even tho you can own it at 18 in your state (ownership of firearms in general (not including NFA items[1]) is NOT regulated under federal law) you cannot BUY a handgun under 21 in ANY state.

[1] NFA items are weapons that are "automatic" meaning they fire more than one round at a single trigger press. 3 round burst is included in this. Rifles with a barrel shorter than 16 inches and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 18 inches are also covered under this. Even MORE interesting is that Sound Suppressors are covered under this definition. In 1934 a sound suppressor cost $3 at sears. The tax levied on one in 1934? $200. And this was "to raise revenue, not to regulate the item". Interesting tax there. Unlike in movies, by the way,  sound suppressors do not "make a gun silent". The term "silencer" was actually a BRAND name. Even the BEST suppressor with sub-sonic ammo, will still make noise when firing. Lots of it. Especially if the firearm is semi-auto. The really interesting part of this tax is that every time a "Class III" item (any of the NFA items I previously mentioned) is transferred, the tax MUST be paid again. It MUST be approved by BATFE. And for automatic weapons, your local police chief MUST sign off on it. Quite an interesting law. Disgusting to be honest.

Any more gun law questions, feel free to ask. I'm slightly well versed on this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users