• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 DTarockoff

DTarockoff

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

First off I'd like to say that I noticed the religion thread and assumed this was kind of different, but if not then a mod can feel free to delete this and I can post in that thread.
Anyways, I don't believe in God at all, and I never really have. I was born into a jewish family, I had a bar mitzvah and used to go to a jewish school every sunday through elementary and some of middle school. With all of that experience, I still find it impossible to convince myself that there is a God. I also find it shocking how many people actually do believe in one. Either way I'm not here to judge but if anyone DOES believe in God or Jesus or whatever it may be, feel free to enligten me with what makes you so sure one exists.
Posted Image

#2 BikerGirl

BikerGirl

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

I respect your opinion and do not want to "debate," but will share my thoughts...

I completely believe in God.  I am certain that He exists.  I believe that He is the reason that everything came to be.  I do not think that life is just a random coincidence.  I can put the parts for a robot in a jar and no matter how long I left those parts, shook it, exposed it to heat, etc..., a robot would not just form, it would need a creator.  Too many things about creating are "just right" that even a slight difference would mean death. I do not believe that's coincidence.  There are too many wonders about living thing and the human body to be explained away without an awesome creator.  

God is constantly pursuing us.  Even your question about why people believe in God, I believe is God moving your soul and making you question.  I feel God whispering to my soul have had things happen in my live that I believe can only be from God.  

I understand that belief in God requires faith. It is very difficult to "debate" faith as it's not something that can necessarily be seen.
Finished $100 Treasure Hunt on 12/19/09
Missing Jack's Hat for Happiness.
Posted Image

#3 DTarockoff

DTarockoff

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostBikerGirl, on 08 August 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

I respect your opinion and do not want to "debate," but will share my thoughts...

I completely believe in God.  I am certain that He exists.  I believe that He is the reason that everything came to be.  I do not think that life is just a random coincidence.  I can put the parts for a robot in a jar and no matter how long I left those parts, shook it, exposed it to heat, etc..., a robot would not just form, it would need a creator.  Too many things about creating are "just right" that even a slight difference would mean death. I do not believe that's coincidence.  There are too many wonders about living thing and the human body to be explained away without an awesome creator.  

God is constantly pursuing us.  Even your question about why people believe in God, I believe is God moving your soul and making you question.  I feel God whispering to my soul have had things happen in my live that I believe can only be from God.  

I understand that belief in God requires faith. It is very difficult to "debate" faith as it's not something that can necessarily be seen.

Thanks for sharing. The hardest part about debating this subject is that, from my perspective, if i questioned the logic behind something it can always be answered with "God did it." Or something along those lines. It just seems convenient to me. Either way, I see everything in the world happening logically, and logic doesn't really have room for faith.

What religion were you raised as BikerGirl?
Posted Image

#4 beth82

beth82

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

View PostDTarockoff, on 08 August 2010 - 02:29 PM, said:

logic doesn't really have room for faith.

Like Bikergirl, I don't really want to "debate" the existence of God.  However, I find this an odd statement.  I'm pretty big on logic myself, AND I believe in God.  Not only do I have faith, it also makes logical sense to me that there would be a Creator.  How else did the world come into being?  Everything is so beautifully designed, it couldn't possibly all have happened just by chance.
Posted Image

#5 BikerGirl

BikerGirl

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I guess that's where we differ.  A lot of what science has explained as "logic" also fits Biblical accounts and science has even been known to ignore their own findings when they don't correspond.  Time, radioactive half-life, fossils, etc... all fit the Biblical timeline.  And, I don't see faith as illogical.  I believe it fits and logically so.

As for my religion, I went to a methodist church with my family until I was 7.  Then, I didn't go to church again until 15 and I went with friends to a Lutheran church.  I stayed Lutheran, went to a Lutheran university, worked with Lutheran regional organizations, and even currently work for a Lutheran school.  However, about 4 years ago, we started attending a Baptist church due to some issues with the local Lutheran church.  So, I"ve been methodist, then Lutheran, and now baptist.

Edited by BikerGirl, 08 August 2010 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

#6 DTarockoff

DTarockoff

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

View PostBikerGirl, on 08 August 2010 - 02:43 PM, said:

I guess that's where we differ.  A lot of what science has explained as "logic" also fits Biblical accounts and science has even been known to ignore their own findings when they don't correspond.  Time, radioactive half-life, fossils, etc... all fit the Biblical timeline.  And, I don't see faith as illogical.  I believe it fits and logically so.

As for my religion, I went to a methodist church with my family until I was 7.  Then, I didn't go to church again until 15 and I went with friends to a Lutheran church.  I stayed Lutheran, went to a Lutheran university, worked with Lutheran regional organizations, and even currently work for a Lutheran school.  However, about 4 years ago, we started attending a Baptist church due to some issues with the local Lutheran church.  So, I"ve been methodist, then Lutheran, and now baptist.

@beth: probably wasnt the best way to say what im trying to say, but my main point is that, for me, if someone explained to me a theory such as the big bang (not saying i believe in that) and then someone explained that a magical god created the universe, i would immediately think the big bang has more substantial evidence behind it.

@bikergirl: sorry im not familiar with the different sections of christianity, and you dont need to explain them all to me, but whats your current stance on Jesus?
Posted Image

#7 BikerGirl

BikerGirl

Archaeologist

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

View PostDTarockoff, on 08 August 2010 - 03:03 PM, said:

@bikergirl: sorry im not familiar with the different sections of christianity, and you dont need to explain them all to me, but whats your current stance on Jesus?

I hold the traditional Christian stance of Jesus.  He was a real person who walked the earth.  He was God incarnate.  He was completely God and completely man.  He was born to a virgin and lived a sinless life.  He died on the cross, taking our punishment for sin.  He rose from the dead and is alive and in Heaven waiting for the proper time to return to earth.
Posted Image

#8 mattre98

mattre98

Grave Robber

• VIP Club Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

This may sound a little different but I had a dream last night that there would be a subject on here concerning God. My thoughts this morning that even though it is Sunday here on Treasure Trooper would there ever be a time to see a topic like this be listed on here. I guess there is for sure. Awesome Cool.

Christ for me is a personal relationship shared within my heart. As is so many believers accross the world. Biblically speaking I believe every word it says, some say that it is meant to be symbolic, but yet the Word itself lets us know when there is something written of symbolic nature. To know the personal relationship that one has with our risen King is without explanation, David in the Bible mentions the joy and the dancing along with many others, I cannot say I am anywhere close to knowing the joy David did when he danced through the streets, but There is joy inside of my heart that is neverending. Logically one can not share because it is beyond all logical understanding.

Christ from a science perspective, there has to be mention that documentation exist more then the existence of G. Washington, or Thomas Jefferson existed that Jesus existed along with the witness accounts of His great resurrection. Logically there still to this day has been not science to explain His resurrection, and if it was a myth, then like all other myths would of been buried with time, but yet here we are over 2000 years later and the event still stands and is talked about probably more then any subject on earth. Where can logic be found.

Logically within the educational field of science the education boards within the last few years are faced with a challenge of introducing new learning material to our students. Within the past few years there has been so many holes punched into the Darwin theory two criterias have been proposed to introduce. One will be the continued teaching of Darwinism, but with the facts that have come to be known that do not coinicide with his theories, and the second proposal is the belief in Intelligent Design also know as (ID). This is based off new evidence found within the DNA strains and many other details that have punched holes within the theories of Darwin.
Where has logic brought us to.

I love Jesus with all my heart and know without a dought His existence and look foward to the great return. The question one may ask in logic is what if He does exist, by the promise of His Word do we really want to place into question that day when we have to face Him. Some say we are good people and why should we be judged, I ask the question have you ever lied in your entire life, have you have looked at the opposite sex in lust, right here are two commandments broken so we can not work our way to heaven. Instead He offers the free Gift of Salvation John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10 are just two of the great scriptures that talk of this free gift. Like opening a gift at Christmas I pray that many who read this will chose to open this gift. With Love.
Posted Image

#9 DTarockoff

DTarockoff

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

View PostBikerGirl, on 08 August 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostDTarockoff, on 08 August 2010 - 03:03 PM, said:

I hold the traditional Christian stance of Jesus.  He was a real person who walked the earth.  He was God incarnate.  He was completely God and completely man.  He was born to a virgin and lived a sinless life.  He died on the cross, taking our punishment for sin.  He rose from the dead and is alive and in Heaven waiting for the proper time to return to earth.

Okay...was Jesus jewish?
Posted Image

#10 DTarockoff

DTarockoff

Beginner

• Regular Trooper
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

@mattre98: I was kinda confused by some of the things you said but I see your stance...for one though, theres quite a big difference between proving the existence of Jesus and George Washington. What are these new findings your talking about? Intelligent Design? What holes does it punch in the "theories of darwin"?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users