#1 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

Title says it all what would make you turn atheist or religious

Personally if everyone in the world never got sick or acquired a disease for one year, i'll turn athiest.

Post what would make you turn atheist/religious
The same thing occurred in the "New Testament," or Christian Greek Scriptures. Professor George Howard goes on to say: "When the Hebrew form for the divine name was eliminated in favor of Greek substitutes in the Septuagint, it was eliminated also from the New Testament quotations of the Septuagint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 replymail2009

replymail2009

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

funny thing is darwin ( athiest) turned to GOD when he was dieing.so even he really didnt believe. but if you go way back even indians believed in a higher power ! so. being a christian doesnt mean im perfect, but loved.SAVED AND FORGIVEN.I see many worldly things that make me proud to be religious. speaking to GOD more then just sunday.HE gave me my fist breath so i live how he desires me too :).
Posted Image

#3 s1fizik

s1fizik

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Nothing could turn me atheist, even if the whole world were to die to a zombie apocalypse and I was left alive to live immortally in a test tube as one of those brains you see floating around in sci fi movies.
Posted Image
Found Lost Statue on 6/20/2011!
Avatar Contest 3rd Place (5$ won :D)
Member ID: 227315

#4 Zach360

Zach360

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Nothing could turn me into an "Atheist."
Posted Image

#5 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

View PostZach360, on 14 September 2010 - 10:20 PM, said:

Nothing could turn me into an "Atheist."

What if Jah came and told everyone i'm not really God I'm just a super being who was the one who created you, and I exacted worship for that reason, but i'm an alien not God. Would you still be theist or a believer? This is all hypothetical and I have serious doubt this will ever happen, but what if it did?

P.S. I don't believe god is an alien this is all hypothetical, do not take what I say in this post as literal

Edited by teflonfanatic, 16 September 2010 - 11:16 AM.

The same thing occurred in the "New Testament," or Christian Greek Scriptures. Professor George Howard goes on to say: "When the Hebrew form for the divine name was eliminated in favor of Greek substitutes in the Septuagint, it was eliminated also from the New Testament quotations of the Septuagint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 s1fizik

s1fizik

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

question still remains, who created the super being alien.
Posted Image
Found Lost Statue on 6/20/2011!
Avatar Contest 3rd Place (5$ won :D)
Member ID: 227315

#7 bunnysound

bunnysound

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

I don't quite understand why no one dying for a year would make you into an Atheist. Wouldn't that be proof of some kind of supernatural power?  :huh:
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Posted Image x 2

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

View Postbunnysound, on 01 October 2010 - 12:28 PM, said:

I don't quite understand why no one dying for a year would make you into an Atheist. Wouldn't that be proof of some kind of supernatural power?  :huh:

Not if humans did it, without supernatural assistance.

@s1fizik:  Question still remains, who created the super being alien.

No one created him, he has NO BEGINNING in anything!!!!! Jesus apparently has a beginning though(Revelation 3:14)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 bunnysound

bunnysound

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

There's some fundamental piece of your logic I'm not grasping, because this still doesn't make sense to me. If human beings could find a way to stave off death for a year, how would that convince you of the existence or nonexistence of God? or did you mean it figuratively as in "I'll turn Atheist when pigs fly/ when hell freezes over"?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Posted Image x 2

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 kaitlynash

kaitlynash

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

I really think it's a matter of brain chemistry. Your brain changes when you hit puberty and that's when I stopped believing.  I can point to a bunch of little things but there was no 'ah ha' moment.  I think evolution is taking us towards a time when the belief in God will be outdated. (Think Vulcans.) We have less of a reason to have religion and so it is altering our chemistry.  No one has any idea what an appendix was ever used for but we know it had a use once upon a time.  I think differently than others in my family (and most people I know!).

Scientific advancement has a lot to do with it too. Throughout history man has turned to religion to answer the unanaswerable. Look at Roman and Greek mythology--one of the factors in my road to atheism--they believed in their Gods just as strongly as people believe in their own God now.  But we laugh at some of the things they believed because we know better now. Science has given us reasons for why the weather and seasons change.

I don't struggle with questions like 'why I am here', 'what's my purpose in life' and so I don't need something/someone else to fill that void. From time to time I do like to think about my grandparents somewhere watching over me but I also realize it's something I'm thinking just to make myself feel better at the time. Happy thoughts bring happy chemicals (oxytocin, etc.). Probably why the belief in God seems to come back in prisons, foxholes, and at deathbeds.

The true definition of atheism does not include putting other people's religious beliefs down or trying to change the world and that's why atheists have a bad rap.  There are too many rude atheists. I respect others' beliefs and have no reason to put them down and I expect the same from others.  I was upset that the Pledge was changed because I'm a traditionalist.  I think anything that is illegal because the Bible says it is a sin is unconstitutional. Any elected representative that cannot separate what's good for the country from what the Bible says has no business in office. They are elected to do what's best for America and sometimes that is contrary to the Bible's teachings.

But that's a whole nother debate. lol.  Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long, hope it answered your question.

Edited by kaitlynash, 02 October 2010 - 07:31 AM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users