#11 teflonfanatic

teflonfanatic

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

View Postbunnysound, on 01 October 2010 - 08:41 PM, said:

There's some fundamental piece of your logic I'm not grasping, because this still doesn't make sense to me. If human beings could find a way to stave off death for a year, how would that convince you of the existence or nonexistence of God? or did you mean it figuratively as in "I'll turn Atheist when pigs fly/ when hell freezes over"?

According to the gospels and the book of revelation the malediction(suffering) comes before the blessing(rewards). If the blessing came before the malediction then that would flatly contradict the bible and the fact that without divine intervention the possibly of humans making sure all 7 billion people no matter what age they are or their circumstance not die for at least one year, it's statistically impossible IMO.
The same thing occurred in the "New Testament," or Christian Greek Scriptures. Professor George Howard goes on to say: "When the Hebrew form for the divine name was eliminated in favor of Greek substitutes in the Septuagint, it was eliminated also from the New Testament quotations of the Septuagint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 JerrySizzler

JerrySizzler

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

In order for me to become religious I would require direct and irrefutable contact from a god / gods.  I will never accept what someone else supposedly saw / heard / felt as evidence of supernatural forces because humans are by our very nature imperfect and prone to misinterpreting or events, remembering facts incorrectly, jumping to conclusions, stretching the truth, and outright lying.  So until a god appears before me and performs an undeniable miracle; for example, bringing the dead back to life, I'll continue to be an "unbeliever".
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Riyko

Riyko

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:32 AM

A bit of background as to why I became atheist.

I was baptized Protestant and went to Church every Sunday when I was a kid. I believed in god and all of that stuff, but I told myself that if someone I loved ever got hurt or died then I would know that god doesn't exist, well in Dec 1997 my grandpa passed away and i was heartbroken because he was my favorite person he always stood up for me when no one else would. To make a long story short after that I never went to church again.
RIP Grandpa Kihn Nov 9, 1929 - Feb 14, 2011 you will be missed <3

RIP Dad Feb 16, 1954 - Sept 7, 2012 you will be missed very much <3

Posted Image

#14 ill05nino

ill05nino

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

View PostRiyko, on 17 October 2010 - 02:32 AM, said:

I was baptized Protestant and went to Church every Sunday when I was a kid. I believed in god and all of that stuff, but I told myself that if someone I loved ever got hurt or died then I would know that god doesn't exist, well in Dec 1997 my grandpa passed away and i was heartbroken because he was my favorite person he always stood up for me when no one else would. To make a long story short after that I never went to church again.

That's the most dispicable thing I have ever heard. Dude, people die. God will not keep your entire family alive until the day you die to prove a point to you. The fact that you would basically give God an ultimatum, is sad. "What does a man gain if he gains the whole world and suffers the loss of his soul?" He loves you no matter what, but seriously, you really need to think about what you have done, and pray for forgiveness.
Posted Image

#15 runtslover

runtslover

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

I've been athiest.... life was a lot simpler back then. :P

But I don't think anything could turn me athiest, my new beliefs kind of justify anything that might. Though if god came down and talked to me I'd be religious. Right now I'm just spiritual.

Hey! I stopped being pagan after my grandfather died! But it wasn't because I thought my gods and goddesses would keep him alive. I just went deep into an already dark depression, so I kind of understand where your coming from. I love the different ways people shape what they believe.

Edited by runtslover, 28 October 2010 - 12:04 PM.

Slot Rewards
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 bunnysound

bunnysound

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

View Postill05nino, on 28 October 2010 - 11:38 AM, said:

That's the most dispicable thing I have ever heard. Dude, people die. God will not keep your entire family alive until the day you die to prove a point to you. The fact that you would basically give God an ultimatum, is sad. "What does a man gain if he gains the whole world and suffers the loss of his soul?" He loves you no matter what, but seriously, you really need to think about what you have done, and pray for forgiveness.

Dude, you are seriously the angriest, most bitter, least empathetic Christian I have ever encountered on the internet-- and that's saying a lot. Kudos to you. I'm a heathen and even I can't manage this kind of vitriol when hearing about some poor kid's dead grandfather.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Posted Image x 2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 ill05nino

ill05nino

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

I'm bitter because someone died?! You are very sad.

Does everyone not die? Because I'd LOVE to meet someone who lived forever?

He says that he would only believe in God if someone from his family doesn't get hurt or die.

Well, how about being realistic. EVERYONE dies. EVERYONE. There are no exceptions to that rule.
Posted Image

#18 Zach360

Zach360

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

I agree. Everyone dies, that is life. God performs miracles but the human body was not designed to last forever. If anything it should give comfort to know that you will see your grandfather again. He isn't gone, he just moved on to a better place where you will see him one day. I, myself, take comfort in the fact that death isn't permanent, but a transition to the next and most meaningful platform-- Heaven. :)

View Postill05nino, on 29 October 2010 - 08:22 AM, said:

He says that he would only believe in God if someone from his family doesn't get hurt or die.

Well, how about being realistic. EVERYONE dies. EVERYONE. There are no exceptions to that rule.

Posted Image

#19 bunnysound

bunnysound

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

View Postill05nino, on 29 October 2010 - 08:22 AM, said:

This is me throwing up my hands in exasperation.  :rolleyes:

I observed that you're bitter (without hazarding a guess as to the reason) because of your unnecessarily vicious response to a story that is much more sad than offensive. Here someone opens his heart and you react with anger. Someone tells you that his faith was crushed and your response is to spit on him. If your intent is to shame him into submission, then your efforts are fruitless because we are not led to God through guilt but through love.

I've said it before and you've ignored me, so I'll say it again: try a little tenderness. Try empathy. It feels good and it's good for you.

Edited by bunnysound, 29 October 2010 - 05:34 PM.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Posted Image x 2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 runtslover

runtslover

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts