#22 lukepukeduke

lukepukeduke

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

I think about it this way.

If you do not believe in god and he comes out to be real, you will get eternal hell which is not good.

If you do believe in god and he is real, you will get eternal heaven which is good

If you do believe and he is not real, nothing will happen.

So overall, the only way bad things can come is if you DO NOT believe in him.
Posted Image

Accomplishments:
[x] Complete Treasure Hunt- July, 2011
[x] Become VIP-
[x] Earn $300 total- June,2011
[x] Complete a total of 200 offers- June,2011
[ ] Get "happiness"

#23 mef730

mef730

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

Anyone who doesn't think there is a god has never met my cat.

Mike
Posted Image

#24 bunnysound

bunnysound

Metal Detector

• Regular Trooper
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

View Postlukepukeduke, on 09 November 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

If you do not believe in god and he comes out to be real, you will get eternal hell which is not good.

If you do believe in god and he is real, you will get eternal heaven which is good

That is, the only way bad things can come AFTER DEATH is if you don't believe in him. ;)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Posted Image x 2

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 JerrySizzler

JerrySizzler

SuperTrooper

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

View Postlukepukeduke, on 09 November 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

This argument is known as Pascal's Wager.   But my question is if you only decide to believe in a god "just in case" to avoid the possibility of punishment in the afterlife is that really faith or is it just lip service?

I don't believe in god because I have seen no solid evidence of a god's existence.  But I certainly think that if I am wrong and a god/s exists that he / she / they would actually commend me for being true to my feelings and logic rather than blindly following an organized religion that invokes scare tactics to pressure people into joining a specific church..  

One of the things that honestly baffles me about religious folks is that they are always so sure that their specific religion is the correct one... but there are so many different religions in the world and probably hundreds of religions that were very popular at one time which are virtually extinct now... so how can anyone be 100% sure their religion is the correct one?

Of course, instead of following an organized religion, one could simply be a Deist... But does a deist or "spiritual" person really live their life any differently than an atheist / agnostic would?   I try to be a "good" person by inflicting as little harm as possible on other people, animals, and the planet... Not because I am afraid of Hell, but because I have empathy.  There's plenty of suffering in the world and I don't want to make any more.   When I help others, I feel good; it is its own reward.

The religious folks who are only "good" because they want to go to Heaven / don't want to go to Hell are not necessarily being moral; they're just well-behaved.  Wouldn't it be ironic if there is a God but he / she decided to punish all of the faithful who were only good out of concern for the afterlife, rather than being good for goodness's sake?

Edited by JerrySizzler, 28 December 2010 - 07:06 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Neff14

Neff14

Beginner

• New Trooper
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

i guess i would have to say my mom.! out of the now were this woman turns christian and now is trying to drag me into church! im not saying its bad but wow its not for me not to be mean or nothin i just reall k.o. in there... but for my answer i would have to say my mother would make me turn athiest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users