6 replies to this topic

#1 cassie

cassie

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

I have a question. I know that the forum rules state that "Multiple forum accounts are strictly prohibited" "unless specific permission has been granted by the administrators of the forum.".

While playing tag the last 2 nights (actually I should say last 2 early (really early) mornings, I have noticed, in the box that reveals the number of users that are reading the topic, that the numbers do not always match. I investigated numerous threads in many forum categories, not just in the Treasure Hunts and Contests.The only thread I have found thus far where the numbers did not match was the current Treasure Tag Begins Now thread. The following is what I refer to when I state the numbers do not match:

Example A - 6/20 early morning (after midnight of 6/19) the # of Users reading the Treasure Tag Begins Now thread was 7. Of those 5 were shown as members, 1 was a guest, and there were zero (0) anonymous users. In the list of names that were shown to be reading the thread at that time was: Alexa(1). Yet I was unable to click on Alexa(1) to see his/her profile. Also when doing a member search, that name did not come up.

Example B - Then 6/21 early morning (between 0300 - 0400) the # of Users reading the Treasure Tag Begins Now thread was 6. Of those 4 were shown as members, zero (0) as a guest, and there was one (1) anonymous user. In the list of names that were shown to be reading the thread at that time was: Yahoo(1). I was unable to click on Yahoo(1) to see his/her profile. Also when doing a member search, that name did not come up.

Part of playing any game is strategy. When I play tag, I look to see who is online, the time of his/her last activity, is s/he in chat, if not on forums etc. I know that Treasure Trooper's administration can grant permission for a member (staff or moderators I am assuming) to have multiple forum accounts. My question is, in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, are TT members, that have permission for the multiple forum accounts, allowed to participate in the TT forum games, including, but not limited to, Treasure Tag? In other words, If TreasureTech was playing Treasure Tag and he already had Treasure Trooper's permission to have multiple forum accounts; could he log in to one of his alter ego forum account profiles in order to read and keep up with the Treasure Tag Begins Now thread? Or could he log in using an alter ego forum profile or some other method that does not even classify what type user he is - as an example 8 users are shown to be reading the thread; of those 5 are members, 1 is a guest and 1 is anonymous; so what is the 8th person? And who is/was Alexa(1) and Yahoo(1)?
Anyway I am sleepy beyond measure from playing tag, so I hope that this question makes sense?

Thanks in advance,
cassie

#2 TreasureTech

TreasureTech

Programmer

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

As I answered in chat for you, Alexa and Yahoo are search engines, They are not counted as Members, guest, or anonymous.
Posted Image

#3 nikkums

nikkums

TreasureTrooper!

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

Guest are people that access the Forum without using a search engine. Most of the time it's members who go to the Forums through the Connect tab on the main site and arent logged in to their Forum account. Anonymous is usually me choosing to sign in as Anonymous so that I won't be visible. This sometimes shows me twice in a thread, even though you can only see me once because I'm invisible on the second one, because I log in to the Forums on multiple browsers

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 cassie

cassie

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

Thanks to you both. I think nikkums answered it a bit better. I also sign in anonymously sometimes. The thing I couldn't figure is why all the users weren't in a category i.e. either a member, a guest (which I also do a lot of), and anonymously. So it would have a mismatch in users. I can see if she was logged in via multiple devices, browsers, or in modes (anonymously and member) it could have a higher user count than are categorized.

I was curious to see if someone in the contest might be able to log in using multiple forum identities. That way they could have a bit of advantage as in peeking in on thread, without appearing to do so.

Thanks for the clarification!

#5 cassie

cassie

Metal Detector

• VIP Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

One more thing, Treasuretech, not to sound redundant, so to confirm are you saying a browser's spider or whatever is crawling on our forum, that it will register as a user, but not as a member, guest, or anonymous?

#6 empressmom

empressmom

TreasureTrooper!

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9768 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

As far as I know, and I've been around for a looong time, nobody has been given permission to have multiple forum accounts. The "permission" clause is just standard rule-speak. It's functionally meaningless, as it never happens.

I would be happy, though, to check the accounts of the Treasure Tag participants to see if there are any cheaters, and I will forward that info to nikkums for action. (It's been a long, busy day, though, so I'll do it first thing--Pacific time!--tomorrow.)

Edit: Never mind. I just looked, and there are only four left, all of whom are legit. Please remind me when Treasure Tag comes up again to do this early in the process!

#7 TreasureTech

TreasureTech

Programmer

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

View Postcassie, on 21 June 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

One more thing, Treasuretech, not to sound redundant, so to confirm are you saying a browser's spider or whatever is crawling on our forum, that it will register as a user, but not as a member, guest, or anonymous?

It's not a browser's spider. It is literally the search engine itself crawling the page. And it will not register as a Member, a guest, or anonymous.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users